• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Things That Drive Us Mac Forumers Crazy!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Another thing that bugs me, more as a Mac user than as a general forum thing:

Icons on the desktop.

Really? I've always viewed the "desk top" as my work space. So, anything that I'm actively working on goes there - until I'm done working on it of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Lately it's been this vBulletin message:
This forum requires that you wait 10 seconds between searches. Please try again in 19 seconds.

If it is 25 or 20 seconds, fine, but don't lie to me! :Angry-Tongue: ;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Really? I've always viewed the "desk top" as my work space. So, anything that I'm actively working on goes there - until I'm done working on it of course.

I am the same way. I do like to keep the desktop clean but when working on some things I have them on the desktop till I am finished with them then they are moved back to folders on the Hard Drive.

OP
KeithTeeple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I also thought of another one: people who have just plain STUPID signatures.

I'm not going to name any though, although I do know a few.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey

PM me with your list.

I'm curious.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

That's a bit subjective, don't you think? One man's trash is another's treasure.

The only thing that irritates me with signatures is the animated ones - they tend to be distracting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
people who dont bother to read an entire 2 page thread, then posting somehting already asked then answered. I understand if the thread is like 40 pages long, but if its only 2-3 pages, seriously.

people who post 2 page threads. seriously. if i see more than 4 lines i move on and really try not to respond if i've read it. it better be really serious for something to be that long. blog it and then post a link. this is a forum, not your personal blog.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Many people get fixated on the fact that they just did a system update. So, if the computer hiccups in anyway, it absolutely MUST be related to the update in some form.

It's the same thing whenever we roll out a new Microsoft patch at work to our Windows machines. Even if the patch doesn't actually deploy, but we've announced that we're rolling security patches, I still get the "my machine doesn't do <insert whatever> since the update". A week goes by, I deploy the update late, and no one says a word...

Sure, but if someone is posting an issue to a forum, they don't want to get the first 30 replies saying "mine's OK".

Imagine you go to a health forum and say "Hey, I am getting these really bad headaches, what shall I do" and someone replies "My head's OK..."

It's just a waste of bandwidth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 80 GB HD, 1 GB memory
yet more signature...

along with the previous posts on signatures, i really hate ridiculously long sigs that take up more space than a standard response. like come one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
'big problems' that are covered without really even digging in the manual

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Another thing that bugs me, more as a Mac user than as a general forum thing:

Icons on the desktop.

C'mon guys. You have the dock for a reason. If you're really good, you've also got QuickSilver and Spotlight.

Almost as bad is docks with programs that are never used in it. I mean, how many times do you actually use iWeb?

Grrrrrr.

Agreed, or the people who have like 50 or so programs in their dock. I mean, really?

Amen! :D

And Derek, not even a Hard Drive icon on the desktop? :D

Not for me, I don't even show drives or removable media on the desktop.

The biggest thing that annoys me, and it's especially prominent with new switchers, are the fanboy comments and the immediate conclusion that anything Microsoft can't possibly be any good. It's amusing to see ignorant posts like that and then watch all the other fanyboys jump on board. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None... :(
It's the same thing whenever we roll out a new Microsoft patch at work to our Windows machines. Even if the patch doesn't actually deploy, but we've announced that we're rolling security patches, I still get the "my machine doesn't do <insert whatever> since the update". A week goes by, I deploy the update late, and no one says a word...

Ahh... that's super... :D
I definitely do that next time. :)

OP
KeithTeeple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
About trashing Microsoft, I'll admit I'm bad for that. I always trash Microsoft, but after dealing with them for 7 years, and being loyal to them, then switching I think I have the right to do that :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
When people don't read the rules for the Apple Rumors section.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Fear of the command line ;)

At least for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Mac zealots. Really they're it. Always bashing windows, being hypocritical, taking the word of their commercials as absolute.

Windows zealots are the same, but man I've cound mac zealots to be more smug and trying way too hard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I know you were just kidding, but I hate how in most forums (even this one) the number of post is basically your worth. If you're a new poster, people are reluctant to take what you have to say seriously, with good reason.

Seems like the longer you've been around and the more post you have, the better rep you have. I hate posting stuff just to post to show I have been around awhile. If I have nothing valuable to add then I won't post, usually keeping my post numbers low. Usually meaning I'm not part of the "in crowd." Guess that's just part of forums. But I see less "clique-ness" in this site than in others.

I also hate how people don't use the rep system.

It might help if you had an avatar, it would sort of give a "face" to a name. I can tell you that I remembered a lot of people through their avatar. Eric has the Bucky avatars, CWA had the cookie monster when I first joined, Schweb had the square chicken, MHC had the Lily Tomlin thing, and so on and so forth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.