What are .pif files?

N

Nightblade

Alright, here's the story. I use MSN Messenger 4.0.1 for Mac OS X. It of course does not support webcam conversations (or voice convos), and so whenever someone invites me into that kind of conversation, I always get the message that this version of MSN doesn't support it, and that I can download the newest version from Microsoft's website. Of course, this can't be done on the Macs. But speaking of webcams and MSN Messenger, just a few minutes ago, someone (actually, two people, both students in my class at school) offered to send me a file called "Webcam_015.pif". When I tried accepting it from the first person it didn't work, but when the second person tried to send it I accepted it and in a few seconds the file was on my computer. However, I don't seem to have any program that can open this .pif file. What is it, exactly? And what opens it? Is there anything on the Mac that can open it? I've tried asking them, but they haven't responded. In fact, they haven't said anything throughout the entire conversation. They just offered me the files. ....Which may mean that it's not really them, but some kind of worm! Does anybody know what exactly is going on here?

Alright, news update! The boy who successfully sent the file to me now has the screenname "Don't open the webcam thing". I've tried talking to him, but still no response. But yeah, this must be a virus, or a worm, or something.

P.S. Even if it is a virus, I doubt it'll work on mine, since the people who tried sending it to me use PCs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.