iMac has black "wavy" sections on the top of monitor

Reaction score
Hi all

I was wondering if you could help me understand if there is something wrong with my Mac.

I have noticed since Sunday at the top of my Aluminum 20" 2.4Ghz Imac little black marks in the shape of little waves. This is only noticable when the Mac is showing a black screen or is in sleep mode. So far it hasn't mucked the image up e.g. the menu bar looks normal.

I have been given 2 different opinions on what to do. One is that if it isn't mucking the picture up (which it isn't) then it should be ok, the other being to take it back. Just wondering if anyone could give me a clear opinion to it.

Attached is some pictures of the problem.

Advanced thanks for help.

Johnny

DSC00606.jpg

DSC00615.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't quite tell from your included pictures, but it looks like some sort of interference. Do you have external speakers attached to the iMac which might be close to the LCD?

Try moving your iMac to another location and see if you get the same thing on the screen. If you do and it's not from interference, I would take it on in to your local Apple store and have them look at it.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi chscag

I did have some speakers which were plugged in to my TV but not the iMac. These have been unplugged for a few days however the wave things are still there.

Have noticed however that when on a black screen on the screensaver for example, the waves now cannot be seen. It's only noticable when the display is off or in sleep mode.

Johnny

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.