MSN Messenger Connection Problem on OS X 10.5.5

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having issues with connecting to my MSN account via MSN Messenger. This seems to have occured since i last did a software update for my mac (it mentioned something about a security update at the time).

I have tried downloading various different chat clients such as Adium and amsn, but still cannot connect to login to my account/s.

I have tested on a pc that I have at home and that connects fine, so i guess it isn't my router or an issue with my MSN account itself. I made sure that I logged out correctly also.

When I try to connect using amsn I get the following error displayed:

Error connecting to server: couldn't open socket: connection refused

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to fix, much appreciated.

Thanks,
Micsten

- I am using a MacBook Pro 4,1 if that helps any.

Reaction score
yer i sometimes get this aswell, its proberly MS cant be bothered to connect the mac MSN severs, to try and make us go to MS!!!
lol, no, i dont no why

Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem. Used to work fine.

I've tried official mac msn messenger, adium and amsn. amsn gives the error: couldn't open socket: connection refused.

It's very frustrating!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
When I first bought my Mbp, I downloaded Microsoft Messenger for Mac v7.0.1 and it kept giving me an error saying "Incorrect username or password" while they were correct. I always had to switch to Windows in order to use it. It was like that for almost ten days but then suddenly, after I updated to 10.5.5 it worked. So I guess it's just a matter of time till it automatically fixes itself.

PS: I tried reporting that to Apple but got no response. Sad xD.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem. Used to work fine.

I've tried official mac msn messenger, adium and amsn. amsn gives the error: couldn't open socket: connection refused.

It's very frustrating!

Yes, I have also tried many other chat clients. The only one I can get to work so far is Skype.

Very odd.

I guess no one has found a solution to this yet?

Reaction score
I have almost the same problem .I have been trying to log onto my MSN account through Microsoft Messenger for Mac and keep getting the same error message. "Sign in to Microsoft Messenger failed because the service is not available or you may not be connected to the Internet." Its devastating

I use Mac OS X 10.4.10

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.