Need to slow down Start up

Reaction score
Hi, i'm new here. just wonder if anyone can help me.

I run a 1.8 dual processor G5 powermac and have a PCI card that works perfectly in OSX10.3 but when I upgraded to 10.4 it suddenly stopped working.
[TC powercore element DSP audio production card]
I have tried lots of things (driver versions, re installs of osx etc etc) but to no avail.

I searched the manufacturer forums and the best everyone has come up with is the card is a computer itself and if it takes too long to boot up, the system has already scanned the PCI slots and moved on before the card is ready.

So what I want to do is stall the computer between when it initializes the PCI slots and when it checks them.

I have done a few searches here and found some good info (What is Mac OS X?) and tried the cmd+opt+O+F when starting up but no good.
It seems to be after the kernel loads that I need to pause things.
(I'm guessing around when the i/o toolkit loads)

I'm sure its possible and I found mention of cool developer/hacking tools that probably could help but I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to use them and I don't want to hurt anything.

downloaded chud tools hoping they'd help but again couldn't really work them out without help.

Can anyone help?
Thanks

Reaction score
Not an expert but the only thing I can think of is putting some kind of timer loop in the startup script (think it's /etc/rc). Maybe a for loop to kill some time until the next instruction.
Don't know of any app/util which would do this.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you very much for the reply

I had a quick look at the etc/rc file using a terminal editor.

I'm not sure which parts point to pci slots - I could see no mention of the programs I read about in the web site above (i/o).
(Is rc the script that controls the initialization of hardware?)
Also not sure what the script/command is to create a short loop/ pause.

Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.