Ipod linux?

OP
M

meltbanana314

not to troll, but why would anyone want to run linux on their iPod?

(other than the obvious: "i run linux so i'm 1337'er than you." statement?)

OP
A

austin

well, i had someone from my site say
D34th said:
Anyone use Linux on their iPod? Such as Podzilla, my friend uses it and it seems pretty cool. I might try it out, anyone have any comments?
and i was wondering if it was any good

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I am curious about that also.. if it does anything special, or if the whole point is to just be able to run linux on the iPod.. and do you use the iPod screen and buttons to maneuver or is it basically just an external firewire drive that you hook up that is running linux?

OP
A

austin

that d34th guy from my site, said that his friend likes it, im not sure how its that much different. I have some links to some pics of ipod linux in that forum on my site.

OP
A

austin

i think its kindof like linux for windows...why use it when the program you currently use is superior to it...not sure tho

OP
M

meltbanana314

I think it's just a "proof of concept" thing.

"Look, I can run Linux on my iPod. Linux is a portable OS, and therefore it rulez!"

People buy iPods to play music. If you want to run Linux, buy a cheapo $199 computer running Linspire and put Debian/Slackware/insert favourite distro here on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
why not run OS X off of the iPod.. now that would rule :)

OP
F

flonejek

I have it on my ipod now, the cool thing is it doesnt do anything to the ipod firmware. By default it boots the ipod firmware but if you hold down play while booting it boots the ipodlinux kernel. Each of the 4 buttons can be set to different images so you can boot 5 different firmwares in total, tho realistically theres only space for the ipod firmware and 2 ipodlinux kernels. I guess u can type but you have to scroll through the letters. Ive got podzilla starting on the ipodlinux boot, and it has a few nifty things, my favourite being othello but u have too play someone else as theres no AI. Another really cool thing is that you can view B&W pictures in Podzilla on a non photo ipod. apart from that its just a harmless toy, its music playbacks pretty hopeless at the moment.

OP
M

meltbanana314

Murlyn said:
why not run OS X off of the iPod.. now that would rule :)

Mmmm... grayscale Aqua interface. :mac:

Even if you got it to boot, it would break your iPod faster than your 4 year old nephew.

OP
A

austin

dont you guys think that apple should go back to making pdas, they could combine a pda with the quality of apple, and the storage of an ipod...now that would be nice! (not to mention the size of a brick)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No future in PDA's at this point.. which then means no money in it.. If they ever get more popular then they are.. you'll see Apple creating one.

OP
A

austin

austin said:
dont you guys think that apple should go back to making pdas, they could combine a pda with the quality of apple, and the storage of an ipod...now that would be nice! (not to mention the size of a brick)
nvm that, now i figure if apple can make a computer soo small and still have everything needed, why cant they make a pda...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't say they couldn't, I said they wouldn't.. there is no market there currently. Look at all the statistics.. people just are not buying PDA's, not like other gadgets.. Apple will start making those gadgets before PDA's since there is more money to be made there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do think Apple will start making phones.. and nice phones based on the Apple OS, when? no idea, but I could definitely see them getting into the action.. which they are a bit already with the whole deal with Motorola...

OP
M

meltbanana314

austin said:
smartphones are in now, would apple consider making one of those?

They'd be more likely to make a smartphone than a regular phone or PDA. Steve Jobs doesn't like PDAs, and said that smartphones are 'the future.'
On a related note, Jobs killed the Newton just (because that prick John Scully implemented it first.) He's got something against PDAs, I guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.