imac memory upgrade question...

Reaction score
I am helping my roomate upgrade her Imac. She has a Imac 2.0ghz 17 inch Inter Core2 Duo.

I found that his memory is what she needs:
2GB kit (1GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades for Apple iMac 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (17-inch) Desktop/PC, CT582914 from Crucial.com

I know she has 2 slots. I know that the maximum apple has listed is 3 gig?

I also have seen people on other forums "hint" that you can have 4 gig in a Imac no problem regardless of what is advised by SJ and Co.

Her two slots have a listed maximum of 2gig. Is it ok for 4 gig, and will this memory work? It seems to be prices quite a bit cheaper compared to $89 at best buy for 2 gig chip and everywhere else online.

Thanks in advance,
JP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.16ghz intel core duo , 30gb ipod, 16 gb 3g iphone,PowerBook G4 1.67ghz 1Gb ram
upgrade

I just did this to my imac last week. I used 1gb stick and a 2 gb stick. some people say you can go up to 4 but from what i read it is not a noticable diffrence. If you try crucial.com they over a system scan. go with what they recomend. iam not a pro but this response is basically what i got .. good luck bro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.