Problems with Different Mac Laptops

Reaction score
About two years ago I bought a 12 G3 iBook to use in grad school. I found out about the reed switch problem the hard way after about a year of use when I could no longer open the lid past about 60 degrees. I replaced it with a Pismo that had been suped up enough that even with the slightly slower processor it still out performed the iBook. Last Spring the hinges busted and I have had to prop it up ever since. Naturally, I didn't know that this was a common problem until after it happened to me and I got sick enough of it that I started thinking about spending the money to get it repaired.

Long story short (I know, too late), anything I buy has to be bought used and I want to know what I would like to know what models to avoid if I buy a different one in the next six months. I don't want to be stuck with a used machine that costs more to fix than it would cost to replace.

Thanks for your opinions,
Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
well....first of all, if you are going with a PPC processor then if i were you i would get a 12'' powerbook (aluminum). if you wanted to go intel, then just get a macbook. now, anything you would buy would naturally cost more to replace because of depreciation, BUT if you were talking about something costing more to repair then it really depends on what breaks. pretty much everything besides the logic board and the hinges (and perhaps the display) is fixable without replacing the whole laptop (although a good variable is how old the laptop is worth/the age). thanks. Justin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Well it depends what you use your Mac for. My girlfriend would only need a 400Mhz G4 Powerbook and it would last her for years because all she does is web browsing, watch movies and instant message people. Some people like myself need a MacBook because of their fast processing speed and such...It all really boils down to what you need a computer for. If you're just a practical user, I would agree with justin clark and say get a 12" aluminum powerbook. They are extremely reasonable in pricing and you get the same performance of the 15" and 17" powerbooks significantly cheaper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.