• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Market Reaction to new Notebooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Looks like the general public, or at least general investors, are not too happy with the new notebooks. Typically the stock goes up significantly the same day as a big announcement like this, but today is went down significantly.

Maybe people were hoping for a more affordable computer in a time of economic strain, but Apple didn't do anything to react to the economy, which will likely be this way for a while and cause sales of higher end systems like theirs to fall sharply. I'm sure Dell and others will be appy to get some of that market share Apple stole back when people go for bargain systems to save money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHZ Core Duo Extreme, 2GB RAM, 750GB Hard Drive - iPhone 3G - Aluminium MacBook 2.4GHZ
I wouldn't say that's the reaction at all.
It seems a lot of people, like myself, are very excited about these new aluminium MacBooks but were desperately hoping for something more affordable. Especially seeing as we're going through an economic crisis.
Granted, a few people aren't too keen on the new model, but that was the case with the iPhone and the original MacBook Pro. They certainly won over their critics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I wouldn't say that's the reaction at all.
It seems a lot of people, like myself, are very excited about these new aluminium MacBooks but were desperately hoping for something more affordable. Especially seeing as we're going through an economic crisis.
Granted, a few people aren't too keen on the new model, but that was the case with the iPhone and the original MacBook Pro. They certainly won over their critics.

He's talking about Apple's investors and Apple stock.

Reaction score
I think the new MB's are gorgeous and I just bought my first apple ever Sept 25th... I bought a white 2.4 MB and I could care less that the new ones are out I am completely happy with mine... but I still think the new ones are beautiful.

Reaction score
is it just me, or does the black and silver combination on the new MB remind you of the colour schemes on the Sony VAIO's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
exactly....its like they took away the distinct look of an apple notebook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHZ Core Duo Extreme, 2GB RAM, 750GB Hard Drive - iPhone 3G - Aluminium MacBook 2.4GHZ
I agree with the colours making them look dissimilar to the apple notebooks that we know and love, but I think Apple are aware of this.
I remember reading a few months ago that Apple were prepared to suffer a loss for a brief period of time with their 'future products'. I can guess we could infer that so great is their confidence in the new notebooks that they're going to absorb the brief spell of speculation, and then just wait for the orders to flood in.
My order will be on there for certain! Spent the past few hours thinking about it, and I'm completely drawn to the new models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Looks to me like most things dropped today, including the DJIA and NASDAQ.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Maybe people were hoping for a more affordable computer in a time of economic strain, but Apple didn't do anything to react to the economy, which will likely be this way for a while and cause sales of higher end systems like theirs to fall sharply. I'm sure Dell and others will be appy to get some of that market share Apple stole back when people go for bargain systems to save money.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I said this on another post and I'll say it in here: WE'RE GOING THROUGH AN ECONOMIC CRISIS. I have a White MacBook. Say I want to get a new White MacBook. They start at $1000?? Are you kidding me? I love the new look of the MacBook because it reminds me of the older powerbooks which I adore, so I don't have complaints there. But seriously, MAKE APPLE MORE AFFORDABLE TO THE MIDDLE CLASS. Most middle-class folk I talk to have PCs because they only paid $400 for them. Yes you could reply with "Well they won't last as long as a Mac." For crying out loud, if I was on a strict budget but needed a new computer, I CERTAINLY wouldn't spend $1000 on a MacBook when I could get one used for $550. And the new ones? No click-button? Yeah real smart. Most people have a hard enough time typing, and now you're going to have to incorporate some dexterity skill to point and click by tapping? Not smart. I feel quite disheartened with Apple, the same way they wanted a ridiculous amount of money for a freakin' 1.6GHz MacBook Air. They gaffed up big today and they had a stranglehold on the PC market, but this lets the PC back in the game. I could get two Dell Inspiron laptops for the cost of 1 new MacBook. I don't know, I always thought spending over $1000 on a laptop was ridiculous but I guess that's just me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How does the old adage go? Buy on rumor, sell on news.

It's not unusual for Apple's stock to take a pounding after a new product release. Then, as the products start selling, the stock goes right up. Personally, I think a lot of the reason for this pounding was the rumor about the sub-$1000 notebook. If Apple competed in that segment, they'd be taking a heck of a lot more market share.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
They should've done something real creative like car dealerships do:
1. "Apple Loyalty" : If you have had an Apple for longer than 5 years, take a few hundred off.
2. "Trade in your PC for an Apple" : Depending on the notebook, trade in your PC and get an Apple laptop real cheap.

....Would've been genius.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
They should've done something real creative like car dealerships do:
1. "Apple Loyalty" : If you have had an Apple for longer than 5 years, take a few hundred off.
2. "Trade in your PC for an Apple" : Depending on the notebook, trade in your PC and get an Apple laptop real cheap.

....Would've been genius.

Why though? They are not hurting for sales. I was in the Apple store today, and there were a TON of people in there, they were selling left and right, and that was at 8pm. I guarantee that they will not have any problems selling the new MB's and MBP's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I like the idea of 5x better graphics, but they don't look like Apple Notebooks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I like the idea of 5x better graphics, but they don't look like Apple Notebooks.

Correction... they don't look like Apple's current notebooks. But why should they? They use the same design language as the iPhone, iMac and the MacBook Air. They look completely at home in the context of the full line-up.

I think people just need to sleep on it. They're used to looking at designs that date back to the G4 iBook and Powerbook G4. They're different, they're supposed to be. Mark my words, the entire industry will be copying them in just a few months. Apple is always the trendsetter and these designs are no different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Correction... they don't look like Apple's current notebooks. But why should they? They use the same design language as the iPhone, iMac and the MacBook Air. They look completely at home in the context of the full line-up.

I think people just need to sleep on it. They're used to looking at designs that date back to the G4 iBook and Powerbook G4. They're different, they're supposed to be. Mark my words, the entire industry will be copying them in just a few months. Apple is always the trendsetter and these designs are no different.

I could not agree with this more!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I doubt a the specs of the new MB's had anything to do with the stocks falling. I mean really... we are in a recession and brand new computers are the last thing on most peoples minds. After the initial reaction i had to the new MB's I think they are a big step in a new direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Seems with every release someone is out on a ledge lamenting about how Apple has turned it back on the masses. Then sales go through the roof and that theory through the window.

I seem to remember the stock dropping on other product announcement dates and it was no indication of its longer term success then, and I wouldn't expect it to be now either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I'm not going to get all in this thread.. BUT! The new glass trackpad DOES click. Ooooh BooYA, BUUUUuuuuuRN !!! Shoot! 1 Point to me.

Seriously though, no one is happy with what Apple brings. You can't please everyone, they try, but there are still those sticklers that aren't happy with anything. I think the new line is great. The economy has no impact on my buying decision on a computer, I'm sorry, but we are not that bad off yet. Things will improve once something gets done about it, wade it out, it's happened once before and it's happening again, it'll pass by and things will be normal again.

I do think think they could drop a couple hundred dollars off of some of the stuff, but they will come down in price as well, they always do. I say, if you want one THAT bad, buy the darn thing and pay it off, sell off what you have and buy it. Figure something out, just quit peeing your pants because Apple didn't grant your every wish.

This isn't directed toward anyone in particular, I'm just saying in general, people need to lighten up and give some slack, get what you want, if you want it that bad then get the thing, if you feel it costs too much, get the model it replaced, fair enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
I'm so angry, I'm keeping my mbp, its ludicrous that they took away the fw400 port. I have a an hd on fw800, and a audio equalizer that connects via fw400. I can't have both plugged in anymore?!

Glossy Display? I'll have to see it first, but I'm quite happy with matte.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
firewire 400 will work with the firewire 800 port.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.