Muscle up a G5

Reaction score
I need advise. I have an iMac G5 Desktop with 20" M9250LL/A (1.80 GHz PowerPC G5, 500 MB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, SuperDrive)

The hard drive went out. I need to replace the hard drive and I would like to buff up the computer so I can edit HD movies with Final Cut Express. It did not handle 1080i movies very well before.

Can I put a larger hard drive in the computer?
Is there faster memory that would help or a video card?

all recommendations are really appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod - iMac
the8thark, posted a good article. Looks very helpful, maybe it will work! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
card upgrade

unfortunately, there are no card/cpu upgrades that you could perform on the G5, at least cheaply, but i would basically bet on none existing....anyhow, you could get a faster HDD, but that would not help with your 1080i video problem. i hope i could help. Justin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Re the hard drive, I would advise that you check out the specs, and get the one with the largest sustained transfer rate and the largest cache. The large cache in particular is really key. If you can get a disk with a 32 MB cache, go for it. You will REALLY notice the difference.

I am driving a Mac Pro, and it originally came with a fairly slow hard drive. I replaced that drive with one with a 32 MB cache and a high sustained transfer rate (105 MB/s I think) and it made a HUGE difference to the overall responsiveness of the machine. I almost halved the boot time and almost halved the average launch time of most applications.

A new, faster and more cache-heavy hard drive is an excellent investment.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I bought a new hard drive and had no problem installing the phsyical drive. However when I run the install disk for the operating system it is not seeing the drive. I bought a

Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM SATA 32MB drive.

Does anyone have any ideas why it might not see the drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
huh, my guess is it is not formatted right. boot from your OS X disk and to into disk utility. if ur hdd is there, try to reformat it into the Mac OS X extended (journaled) format. then it should work. otherwise send the HDD back and get a new one. also make sure the disk is set on primary, not slave. thanks. Justin.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.