Streaming Video Not Smooth On G4 - How Is It On Yours?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 MDD 1.25GHz 1.5GB 3x80GB (2 In RAID) 10.5.5
I've just got my new (old) Mac and although it's a quick machine in general use I've noticed that streaming video via YouTube etc isn't very smooth at all, certainly compared to the PC I've come from.

I've heard that Firefox is a bit poor on Mac's but I'm using it as that's what I've always used, however I believe Dementer is a much better browser (I'll try it tonight)?

I'm still running the original 64mb video card (model to be confirmed tonight) but I'd have thought that should be more than enough to watch videos smoothly to be honest....it certainly would be in XP :(

How does it run on yours, any suggestions to make things a bit smoother - must say that for the spec of the machine (in my sig) which is by no means slow/poor I'm a bit disapointed that it can't do a simple task like video streaming smoothly :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends on the graphics card. MDD came standard with an ATI Radeon Mac Pro 9000 with 64MB VRAM. This card is not fully compatible with Leopard having no Core Image nor, from memory, Quartz Extreme rendering.

Personally use an ATI Radeon 9600 Mac Pro with 256MB VRAM which is Leopard compatible, has a heat sink and no fam which does assist MDD with heat control and quietness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
huh
on my iMac G4 youtube videos run fine...but then again i am not up to grade with video cards considering i have an iMac.

OP
Microshaft
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info chaps, I'll have a look at what card it is tonight ;D

I guess I'll have to put up with it if the only card (ATI Radeon 9600 Mac Pro) that will make streaming video smooth costs as much as the whole machine I don't think I'll bother :Not-Amused:

OP
Microshaft
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep it's an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB, it says it's Quartz Extreme compliant but Core Image says "software"

Oh and for the record forget Dementer, it's way worse than Firefox :Oops:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know with Tiger on my old Sawtooth with an ATI original Radeon and 1.2Ghz after market CPU, You Tube videos were very smooth. Could be what Harry is talking about with 10.5 and your video card. That ATI card of yours is a better card than my old Radeon. I wonder if you installed Tiger if things would be better? Have you tried it using Apples Safari instead of FireFox just to see what happens?

OP
Microshaft
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tiger isn't a bad idea to be honest, it came supplied with a fresh install of 10.5 which I'm reluctant to delete, but yes I think it's possibly a bit rich for this machines blood.

I'd definately consider 10.4 which should fly on this just to see if there's any difference. If I do it at any point in the future I'll report my findings, might be of use to someone else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You Tube videos aren't demanding on the GPU. My dad's old ATI Rage 16Mb runs them fine.

It didn't always though - the old ATA 66 hard drive was a bottle neck. Putting an ATA 100 in fixed it.

I'd check your hard drive's up to snuff. Disk Utility doesn't come up with any problems does it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.