Finder/Trash not working properly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8Ghz Intel core 2 du0 10.5.5
I am having no joy over on the Apple forum so thought I'd try here.

Basically, my trash will not empty. It's not anything to do with any file in the trash, it seems to be a finder problem. Trying to empty trash causes Finder to stall. I have to relaunch finder. Sometimes if I right click and hold on the bin I can empty trash by selecting empty trash from the pop up. Sometimes when I relaunch finder a window showing my user files pops up out of nowhere.

This is what I've done: Verified disk - it needed repairing so did this to the letter, now getting Disk OK messages. Repaired permissions zillions of times. Booted into safe mode - problem persists. Installed Trash it! application. This will make the bin empty - mostly. Thrown away finder prefs, sidebar prefs, used terminal to empty and recreate my trash directory. Ran Onyx for Leopard. This worked once.

A clue: When I log out and log back in as another user the trash works fine.

Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
What files are in the trash?

Could it be you're displaying hidden files and the files you're seeing are just system files you wouldn't normally see?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The files in the trash are not what are causing the problems, it doesn't matter what is in there, I still get the same problem. I keep doing a force empty with Trashit and then I put in a single text doc to test whether it will empty. It doesn't matter if it's a jpeg, pdf, whatever, the finder is the problem, not what is in the trash can. It's driving me nuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Can you delete the file in terminal. That will tell if it's just the trash not working or the deleting process itself not working.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just tested: Just one .png file in the trash, Finder/Empty trash can't empty it and caused Finder to stall. But using terminal emptied it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.