problems opening specific word doc

Reaction score
Version: word for mac 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel
when I try to open a specific word doc the "convert file from:" window pops up and it won't let me open the file - when i try the options allowed: "text only," "recover text from any file" it appears as weird symbols, same when i try to open it in textedit (no box just gobbledygook) and even the last auto recover - according to the about box the file is fine - a recognizable word doc but i can't open it unless i convert it to one of these unreadable formats - this doc is very important - please please help - this only occurs with this one document

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
Which version of word are you trying to convert from? if it is Office 2007 then it will be using the new file types which all end in "X" so a word document that was .doc will now be .docx the problem with this is that they are not wholly backwards computable in windows, let alone transferring between OS's.

If the file does end in .docx get the person who sent it to you to resave it as a 2003 version (.doc) and send it to you again.

Hope this helps.

OP
E
Reaction score
that's just it - I'm not trying to convert anything - I just want to open the file and word won't let me - when I click on the file it starts the process but before the actual document appears that "convert file from" box pops up and it won't let me proceed unless I choose an option from it's list but choosing one of these just converts the file into a mass of unreadable symbols - all I want to do is simply open the file not convert it to anything - very frustrating

OP
E
Reaction score
also, just to be clear - I'm the one who wrote the file no one sent it to me - I just want to open it - this problem suddenly appeared last night when I tried to open it and had never happened before

Reaction score
re: any updates?

Hi,

I have the same problem and was wondering if the OP fixed this? or if anyone else has any more visibility into this?

thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's what is known as a corrupted Word file. Unless you have a backup of the file, or can read it using a text editor, you're probably out of luck. Office Word has a nice option that few people seem to use - and that is making a backup of the file when opening it and prior to editing it. Also turn on automatic backups.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.