New and unsure??

F

Frodo

Hey all!

I am planning to order an iMac G5 in the next week or so but there is just this niggle in the back of my mind about setting it up wirelessly,as I am unsure.

I am getting an Airport card put into the iMac as I want to go online via a wireless connection. In my head I have it that I buy a router which I plug my boradband connection into. The router will then send the signal to my iMac with no need for anything to be plugged into the iMac??
Is this the case? I am sorry if I did not make much sense, as you can tell I am kinda new to this.

Thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Yes. That's exactly how it works.

I would also recommend making sure that your router has some form of encryption (either WEP or WPA) turned on. This is trivial to do on an Apple router such as the AirPort Express, and not difficult on any other router.

OP
F

Frodo

Thanks! That clears it up for me.

Now another wee cheeky question! Is

this what I am looking for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Frodo said:
Is

this what I am looking for?

If you're using DSL, and you don't already have a DSL modem, then yes.
It'll be:
phone line -> that Linksys Modem+router (((wireless signal))) your iMac

If you already have a DSL modem (or your DSL provider will give you one for free) then you might look at this instead, since its cheaper.
Then you'd have
phone line -> DSL Modem -> the Linksys router (((wireless signal))) your iMac.

OP
F

Frodo

Thanks a lot for the help!

I don't already have a modem as my Windows pc has a built in modem.
Woo Hoo! Can't wait! I have an iBook G4 and when I get my iMac I can say goodbye to windows altogether!

Thanx again!

OP
S

Stuart Grice

same boat

I have just ordered an iMac G5 and an airport extreme base station and i think its an easy set up but i have had a couple of conflicting sites some say that the base station (airport extreme) can have the dsl connection directly form the phone socket, one or two others mention a ethernet modem must be connected.
can anyone confirm what it deffinatley is?

Thanks in advance, :bomb:

Stu

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.