General hard drive question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
QUESTION:

So I'd like to put a 7200RPM Hard Drive on my 400MHz G4 PB. Is there really THAT much of a difference between a 5400 and 7200 RPM hard drive?

(Stupid question now:)

A 7200RPM hard drive won't help speed up browsing the web right? Only RAM will do that, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
It will speed up anything that is being written or read from the hdd, so if you are using a lot of Swap space or doing a lot of cache writes, then yes it could, but it is not likely.

Just so you know, it will reduce your battery life.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Answer is yes will make a difference. Here is a link and note the 9.5mm thickness as some drives are 12.5mm. One installed in this link is an Hitachi:-

Hitachi-IBM Travelstar 7K60 7200RPM HD for Powerbook - Mac Forums

The only thing to speed up web browsing is a faster DSL connection. With a G4 find 1500MB/s very fast.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Only thing the 7200rpm disk will do is speed up access to the hard disk. internet speed is based upon many things. Like how much traffic the requested site is seeing? The amount of bandwidth you have available to you? How far away you are from the site? And the less of questions go on.

Someone hopefully will come also and give a few tweeks you can do to your system in order to squeeze out a little more speed.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Well I mean the laptop goes amazingly fast considering it only has 512MB of RAM right now. I'm just kind of dissatisfied with the overall performance of applications I open up on this. Still, I think this is one of the best laptops ever made.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Get yourself more RAM and then you will have less lag and hang ups when you open applications.

Reaction score
Yeah, it helps, but not in some huge dramatic way. But if you care about getting the most out of your machine, spring for a 7200. The hitachis are very nice drives, and don't use hardly any more power. Check out the specs.

Is it worth the extra money? To me, no question. I plan on years of heavy use of my mac, including autocad use on the bootcamp side, where large amounts of data are cached. I had my new hard drive in my macbook within the first week, and never looked back.

It also helps boot time a bit, and with leopard, you can use all the help you can get booting quicker, since it is slower booting than tiger was.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.