22" external monitor w/older mbp

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've got an early model MBP w/ the dual core 2.0ghz processor and I believe Mobility Radeon X1600 as my video card.

I'm retiring this computer to home use so it'll be mostly used for goofing off/playing games. I'm looking to get an external monitor. The monitor I'm considering is the 22" Acer X223 (at $180.00 it seems like a steal). here's a link: Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors

Will I have any problems, resolution-wise, stepping up to such a large monitor considering my video card is relatively dated?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try to find out what the native resolution of the Acer monitor is. It wasn't given in the specs on NewEgg. (You may have to go to the Acer site to find out.) Once you know what its native resolution is, you'll be able to compare it to what your graphics card can display.

You'll notice that one review of the monitor on the NewEgg site stated that it displayed blurry. That's probably because the user did not have his graphics set to display the monitor at its native resolution.

I'm fairly certain your MBP (even though an older model) should be able to run the monitor at its native resolution but make sure anyway before you purchase it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I am running a x1600 video card and pushing both the MBP screen and a 22" Samsung running at 1680x1050 no problem. Like chscag said, just check the native resolution on the Acer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.