MBP AirPort problem: time out and shut down

Reaction score
I have a MacBookPro 15'' purchased in May 2008.
Background:
First week, the superdrive went. Luckily I had MAC care. Then I had problems with my PCI slot recognising Express Card 34. It only recognises a Belkin Model for some reason... Then as I started using my computer more on the internet as I began sending huge files. I'd check on my little buddy 45 minutes later and find the wireless signal had disappeared requiring me log onto my wireless network again then timing out 30 minute to an hour later again ... and again ... and again (I have a 12'' PowerBook that gives me no such grief on same wireless system) This problem was bad enough and had everyone down the Mac shop in Bangkok scratching their heads, but soon after, not only would I loose my signal, but my AirPort switched OFF completely and wouldn't let me turn it back on no matter how many times I clicked ON. The only thing that resolve the problem temporarily, was a restart. I talked Mac Service into installing a new airport card. Got the computer home and three days later it started all over again. The last time Airport switched OFF for good happened right at the moment I was inserting my Express 34 card into the PCI slot. Computer is back at the shop. Heads are being scratched, hair follicles falling out.

Any bright ones please?

Deano

Reaction score
I just received my MBP from work and I am experiencing the exact same symptoms. I originally set up all of my software while on a wire, then when wireless, my AirPort keeps turning off. The AirPort turns off anywhere from 10 seconds all the way to 10 minutes after reboot. But it does turn off and I can not restart the AirPort. I called support and they say that "they have not heard of this before".
Did you get to any resolution?

Fred

OP
L
Reaction score
No. I'm overseas still and they tell me 'they haven't heard of it' but they didn't mind changing a few things inside on warranty which made no difference. It's frustrating! There is similar chatter on other threads so I know it is happening. Please let me know if you hear of anything back wherever ya are!

Reaction score
Same thing

I'm having the same issue. If I start my macbook pro up with the expresscard34 card already in, it functions correctly and my airport works as well, but if I try plugging in the express card after the computer is running, immediately the airport quits functioning. I'm running OSX Tiger. Anybody else having this issue?

Reaction score
Airport card shutting down.

I am having the same issue. My macbook pro runs fine for about 30 minutes and then the airport switches off and won't restart without a full computer reboot. I've been doing some reading and it looks like the problem was seen several years ago after a mac OSX update. So far I have yet to find a fix.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue here. Airport on my MBP will just randomly shut off, and I can't do anything to get it back on other than a full reboot. sometimes I can go a full week without seeing it, and sometimes it will hit me 3 times within an hour. Running 10.5.6 and I've tried using the Leopard disc to run a repair. It's strictly on this laptop, the wireless router keeps it's connection fine and other wireless devices on this network are unaffected.

Seems to be very few incidents of this (at least that I can find on the web) besides what the above poster mentions -- most of what I see is outdated / was an issue with Tiger.

I've love any tips or thoughts on what may be going on here.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Possibly heat or CPU load related.
All software etc up to date.

Anyone got anywhere?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just had an issue while out of town over the weekend. My airport turned off.
Click Turn Airport On from the menu bar - nothing.
Open up Network Preferences and try to turn it on from there - nothing.
It was like I was hitting a fake button.
Re-boot: The thing would come on for 10 seconds to a few minutes and then turn off again.
Go into the advanced menu on the TCP/IP tab and found it had changed itself to manual setting. Changed it to DHCP and hit renew lease - the thing would change right back to manual again.
Meanwhile I could boot to my SD! backup and it worked flawlessly from there.
Tried deleting plist files... wasn't happening.
Tried a bunch of other stuff, but you get the point.

What finally worked on mine - went in and changed it to DHCP again, backed out of the preferences without hitting renew lease, clicked apply when it asked and then re-booted.
Sometimes you just gotta keep trying stuff. There's not always a single answer for a computer issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
i don't have the answer but in reading the postings i wonder is there a common factor - my musings - would downloading running the combo updater prevent it happening again. Perhaps worth a shot.

Reaction score
Just had an issue while out of town over the weekend. My airport turned off.
Click Turn Airport On from the menu bar - nothing.
Open up Network Preferences and try to turn it on from there - nothing.
It was like I was hitting a fake button.​

That's my issue exactly, but all the advanced options look normal.

What's the "Combo updater"?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The combo update would be an update for OS X that can be downloaded individually from Apple rather than going through Software Update.

There can sometimes be a glitch with a download and installing the combo update will sometimes fix it.

The combo update for Leopard 10.5.7 is here.

Reaction score
That didn't help

Instaled the combo update. No change. Still hanging up increasingly frequently.

Reaction score
I had to send my laptop into apple care for a different reason, and I had the airport symptoms documented before I sent it in.

I'm seeing the same sporadic behavior with a new HD / fresh Leopard install, which leads me to believe this isn't OS / Config related, it's a problem with the actual wireless card.

This is a royal pain.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.