which model for first Mac???

LDB

Reaction score
I'd like to move from pc to Mac to get the stability of the OS. My needs are pretty basic. I need web access for email and forums I participate in as well as yahoo messenger to keep up with a few friends. I need basic excel/word compatibility for my expense tracking and payroll spreadsheets and a little correspondence now and then. I need to run a windows emulator for some radio programming software that doesn't have a Mac version. I want Streets and Trips. I need portability. That's pretty much it.

I've been pretty focused on a macbook until today looking at craigslist. I've seen some ibooks at near giveaway prices and thought that might do for what I want to do or at least do a lot of it and let me get used to Mac systems. I won't do anything before seeing what happens Tuesday but wanted input on whether a g3 would be enough horsepower for what I want to do or how far back in models I could go and be good for say 12-18 months.

Reaction score
Well since you didn't list many things that are going to have your processor and ram get all upset with you I say you go with the 1099.99 basic macbook.

OP
LDB

LDB

Reaction score
I'm sure any of the current models would be fine. My question is which older models would be good in case I find a good deal locally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1ghz, 40gb HD, 768mb mem, Tiger
re

Every use you mentioned can be done on a G3 provided at least 256mb of memory and an install of at least 10.3.9.

However, for running Windows, you'd want an Intel processor (newer mac models) so you can run Windows natively.

I've tried VM software to run Windows 98 on my G4, 1ghz powerbook. Stuff takes for ever to load. Boot time almost takes 30 minutes. Windows is just not usable on a PPC Mac.

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
If you want to run windows with any speed, you'll have to go intel mac. If you want to go rock bottom price, look for a used macbook. $600 will get you what you need.

Reaction score
Wait until tomorrow before making any kind of decision, as new notebooks are to be unveiled at Apple's special event. A cheaper Macbook is rumoured to be amongst the offerings.

Edit: Stupid me, I've just noticed that you already said this in your original post lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.