command + shift + 4 > take a picture folder?

Reaction score
Hi.

every mac user knows how take a picture (small part) using
command+shift+4
but every time put the picture in desktop...
my question ys how can i say to the systems
to put that picture in some folder (inside my HD) please ?

realy thanks a lot !

Reaction score
BUMP

I too would like this question answered. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Screen shots are saved - by default - as files on the desktop. If you want to put the screen shot in the Clipboard, rather than create a file, hold down the Control key when you press the other keys. You can then paste the picture into a document and save it to a folder. I find it vaguely annoying to have screenshots named as just Picture 1 and sequential. We can make our gripes known to Apple I guess.

You can also take pictures of the screen using the Grab application (in the Utilities folder). There's nothing in Prefs to enable sending a pic to a folder though.

Edit: an amendment to the use of Grab. If you use it (instead of Cmd-Shift-4), you can Save As the screenshot that Grab has taken, to a folder of your choosing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Or you can install Onyx! Open the Parameters Tab. There you can set the file type OSX Screen Capture saves as and the path and even filename!!

Onyx is a great utility besides all the maintenance tasks it automates for you.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Or you can install Onyx! Open the Parameters Tab. There you can set the file type OSX Screen Capture saves as and the path and even filename!

Good one dtravis! Perhaps the ss I've attached may help others to know which setting to establish. [update: your attached pic didn't display initially - I regret the duplication.]

One thing puzzled me though - I was warned twice that finder display would list items down the R side of the window - but it didn't!

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
there is an easy way, use grab for all of the pics, keep it open in the dock, when you want to grab a screenshot, or selection, use the menu, then when it prompts you to save, you can select the file or destination to save it to

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.