• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Earliest or Latest?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT 512MB.
With all the excitement over new upcoming macbooks I have to ask, are you all going to run out and get one?

Here is my personal thinking...
I would much rather have the last model in a line (my current 15" MBP for example) than the first in a new line ie. the new macbooks.

I like to know that all the problems have been ironed out and that a better spec version of the same system wont be out a few months down the line, and with this I always buy the very last in a certain line of macs.

I had the last version of the G3 PowerBook, and then the last version of the G4 PowerBook, both of which have been, and still are reliable to this day, with NO problems whatsoever!
You can see though that several earlier versions of these machines can be plagued with issues, same as the MBP.

For me it really is reliability over the latest look & speed, once again I will probably get the next version of the MBP just before it's discontinued for the same reasons.

So are you a power/style hog, do you need the latest looks and hardware right now the second it comes out or do you sit back and wait for all the issues to be ironed out before making a purchase?

Alternatively are you perfectly happy running your old PPC macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I'm running a 4-year old PPC PowerBook.. As fast, and as much as I love it. It barely cuts my needs (Heavy Illustrator/Photoshop work)

For the age of it, it flies. However, with more and more companies not writing Universal Binaries with their software, it's becoming increasingly frustrating to find good apps that I can run.

Eventually, when I can afford it, I will be running an Intel Mac, because I'll need to.

Until then, I'm happy with my PowerBook, and even though I could sell it for quite a bit to buy a cheaper/older MacBook, I'd rather keep it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
-I love my MacBook.
-I love my 400Mhz Powerbook.
They both do the job for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
For me it all depends on my teachers, they gave me a $5k allowance to buy 2 MBPs for each of them and I told them I would like to wait until mid October, about a month ago in anticipation of this upcoming event. I really want to get the new ones, but if Apple is going to be releasing the new MBP line up a month from now, I think that I will have to buy them sooner than later.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
not quite sure i fit in there...

i have a later old core duo macbook. so not the first of the macbooks, but old enough to be pre-core2duo.

though i rarely buy anything the second it hits the shelves.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.