• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Rolling bag for MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.53Ghz (with 512MB NVIDIA 9600M GT), silver iPod Classic 120GB, white iPhone 3G
Tuesday is the day I will be getting my first Mac (unless, of course, the new notebooks don't actually ship until after the 14th) and I am fairly certain I'll be getting the MacBook Pro. Assuming Apple hasn't produced a 13" MBP, I'll be getting the 15" which means I need a new way of toting my computer around.

I have various notebook sleeves, but all are for smaller (12-13") notebooks. I don't think a MBP would even fit comfortably in my current backpack. My question is this: how many of you would feel comfortable rolling your MB or MBP around in a wheeled laptop bag 3-4 days out of each week?

I bought such a rolling bag a while back but use it mainly to carry heavy textbooks to and from school. I never hesitated to carry my old 12" Windows book in it, but the idea of having my brand new MBP bumping along behind me makes me slightly uncomfortable.

If not the rolling bag, what other sort of carrying device could I obtain that wouldn't kill my budget or my back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Its a lot of personal preference. When looking for a bag I went to 3 or 4 different stores before i made a decision.

OP
ivoryandgold
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.53Ghz (with 512MB NVIDIA 9600M GT), silver iPod Classic 120GB, white iPhone 3G
Its a lot of personal preference. When looking for a bag I went to 3 or 4 different stores before i made a decision.

This is true. It's probably the reason I've gone through so many different backpacks. I'm just curious how other people feel about using rolling bags for their computers. I have this idea that rolling a computer around day after day could cause some physical damage, but maybe I'm wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
I use a TravelPro rolling bag all the time. I put my 15" Macbook Po inside a neoprene sleeve and place it in one of the pockets, never in the back portion of the bag next to the where the handle comes into the bag (hope that makes sense). I also carry my DSLR camera and 3 lenses in the same bag, plus accessories.

This method has never resulted in any issues with the Macbook or the camera gear.

Reaction score
As long as the computer is in it's own personal sleeve before its in the rolling bag it should be fine kind of like how bluegrass explained. But after that it's personal preference. I personally would never get a rolling bag just because of the fact I hate them with a passion lol But my friends hate shoulder bags (man purses) and I love them hahah so it's all personal.

OP
ivoryandgold
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use a TravelPro rolling bag all the time. I put my 15" Macbook Po inside a neoprene sleeve and place it in one of the pockets, never in the back portion of the bag next to the where the handle comes into the bag (hope that makes sense). I also carry my DSLR camera and 3 lenses in the same bag, plus accessories.

This method has never resulted in any issues with the Macbook or the camera gear.

This is good to know. I intend to get a sleeve and possibly an Incase hardshell too.

As long as the computer is in it's own personal sleeve before its in the rolling bag it should be fine kind of like how bluegrass explained. But after that it's personal preference. I personally would never get a rolling bag just because of the fact I hate them with a passion lol But my friends hate shoulder bags (man purses) and I love them hahah so it's all personal.

I sort of dislike rolling bags too, but I may end up needing to use mine if I find that carrying my MBP + books every day takes too much of a toll on my back. As an alternative, I'm considering getting one of those sleeves that has a shoulder strap so that maybe I could carry my backpack and then have my computer in a separate, lightweight case which could be easily carried in my free hand.

OP
ivoryandgold
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure what I want...

So you're saying you now want a shoulder bag and a separate bag for your macbook pro? If so I just came across this like 15 mins ago looking for stuff for my macbook hahaha.

MacCase 15" MacBook Pro V_Carbon BriefCase - Carbon Black 4400

I'm having trouble deciding what the best case solution is, so maybe I'll use my geeky rolling bag, maybe I won't. Thanks for the link. That case looks pretty nifty; it seems to be very protective.

Reaction score
Hahah I said the same thing when I saw that "Wow I bet that would last a 15 foot drop" lol

But yeah what I'm going to be doing when I start my first year of college in January is just a plain simple Jansport Backpack and then a Belkin case like this, Belkin Neoprene Black Sleeve for MacBook Air F8N065-BLK

Thats for an air but it's just used an an example anways it will keep my macbook safe inside a case which is safe inside a backpack from all the other books and stuff in my backpack.

OP
ivoryandgold
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hahah I said the same thing when I saw that "Wow I bet that would last a 15 foot drop" lol

But yeah what I'm going to be doing when I start my first year of college in January is just a plain simple Jansport Backpack and then a Belkin case like this, Belkin Neoprene Black Sleeve for MacBook Air F8N065-BLK

Thats for an air but it's just used an an example anways it will keep my macbook safe inside a case which is safe inside a backpack from all the other books and stuff in my backpack.

Yeah, that's what I did with my old Windows notebook. Hrmm...I think I'm going to measure my backpack. If the MacBook Pro will fit in it, maybe I'll just use that. I have way too many bags and backpacks as it is. If my computer is the only heavy thing in my bag, I think it might just work. Thankfully, Computer Science majors tend to not need our books with us during classes.

Reaction score
Hahah yeah really. I already have the 4 classes picked out im taking this up and coming semester and 3 of them involve me on my laptop, so stoked =]

Also it should fit in any backpack if you turn it vertical, that is unless you dont mind it being vertical. I don't see a problem with it if you have a case for it but if not idkmybffjill?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
my MBP fits in my daypack with plenty of room to spare, it's not that much bigger (cm³ wise) than my old t41 thinkpad. My T61p is HUGE in comparison to the MBP.

OP
ivoryandgold
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it'll fit

I just measured the inside of the bag and it seems like it should work. It looks like there will be a few inches to spare in height (with the MBP put in vertically). It might take up most of the width of the bag, but that should be okay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
When I bought my MacBook, the guy there suggested a whole bunch of different bags. I have an Incase bag. It's environmentally friendly, and it's really protective, there are a couple of extra pockets for your mouse or charger too.

I highly recommend it. But in the end, it comes down to personal preference. Check the sales thread, I saw a thread for selling laptop bags there.

OP
ivoryandgold
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.