Question: Operating Temperatures

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @7200// iBook G3 300MHZ!, 512MB RAM!, 40GB HD!
Like anyone with a Macbook Pro I'm sure you feel that it gets just a little to hot sometimes.

When I play World of Warcraft it tends to run at around 65C+ (temperature from fans) and I'm not sure this is too healthy for it, even if its just sitting on a table. I can put my hand on the bottom of the laptop near where the ram is and **** near burn my hand.

I installed SMCfancontroller and I bump up the fans to 6krpm and this helps alot and I just make sure to monitor the temp everyonce in a while. I turn down the fans after it cools to about 35C when I'm just broswing normally.

Just the other day I had the fans set to a 2.5k minimum and I left the house to go get some food and came back to find my computer running at 75C! with just DII open.

Maybe I'm just a bit scared cause this is my first huge purchase as far as computers go (finally moving my music studio to Mac-based)

If it makes a difference I got the Macbook just two weeks ago, and its the 15in 2.4ghz with 2gigs of ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
relax. If you are that worried buy a cool pad to get the temp down. I know what you mean, I worry sometimes but there is not need to worry unless it is over heating and crashing. I think MacBook pros can run at 100 C no problem. I have been well into the 80s many times.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @7200// iBook G3 300MHZ!, 512MB RAM!, 40GB HD!
Wow, thats freaking hot. But at least I know its not running to hot.

Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
I just went to the apple store asking the same question. I have a MBP..the first one that came out about 2.5 years ago. It started getting really hot just these passed few months. The guy at the store ran a stress test and said-
1> MBP's have the power of a desktop and are designed to run warm to hot, even on idle.
2> If there really is something wrong, it could be the "paste" that they use when installing the logic board at the factory. It's supposed to spread out the heat.
3> The computer senses when it's getting too hot automatically adjusts the fans, and that my SMC fan control app. may be overriding the system actually creating more heat.

It's regular for the center on the MBP (top and bottom) to get hot when watching a movie or playing games because that's where the video card and processor are located.

I'm in the same boat as you, it seems just a little uncomfortable when my baby get too hot. I would start backing your stuff just in case the worst happens. Also, try turning down the brightness more often, that usually helps the quickest.
I hope you guys got something out of all that ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Mine has been running at a constant 47 c to 50c since 10.5 so I ignore it also
when doing any video it has been known to hit 78c.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod - iMac
Yea, any sort of computer getting warm is okay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.