Boot Camp and Win XP

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I was just about to run bootcamp and install Windows XP on my new Macbook when I thought I'd better read the instructions first. (Seems like a good idea sometimes:[ ) Thats when I read this :
"You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2 is
required for Windows XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows and
do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2 or
later."
Now. My XP disk has sp1 included and I have sp2 & 3 on separate cd's. Can someone advise me on what I should do? I recall once, years ago, I had to "stream" my xp and sp2 disks for some installation but cant really remember the details.
Thanks
Tommy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Ooh, I'm not an expert at this so this is not my field however, there is one thing I recommend, you could call, and excuse my language tech support, or refund your discs if possible and purchase one SP2 disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
You can always slipstream your own disk if you have to; theres tutorials online about how to make your own XP SP2 disk from your XP SP1 disk. It can be a pain, I tried it but I accidently used one of my old messed up XP CD's and it got stuck loading the installer. I just decided to use my Vista Ultimate disk since I took apart my "Vista testing PC" lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can always slipstream your own disk if you have to; theres tutorials online about how to make your own XP SP2 disk from your XP SP1 disk. It can be a pain, I tried it but I accidently used one of my old messed up XP CD's and it got stuck loading the installer. I just decided to use my Vista Ultimate disk since I took apart my "Vista testing PC" lol.

That sounds like the most complicated thing mankind has ever done . . .

OP
T
Reaction score

Thanks.
That was the term I was looking for. Guess I'll have to slipstream.
Should I slipstream it to sp3 as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
There is simple enough tutorial here

OP
T
Reaction score
There is simple enough tutorial here
Thanks quicksilver. Looks simple enough.
Just one further question. What happens with windows updates? Can I install security patches etc? And I suppose I must prevent SP3 from loading.
Sorry about all the questions but I just want to get this right.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Updates for Windows and patches and all that should be fine. It's almost as if you're running Windows in a Windows computer, unless of course you run it in emulation mode.

OP
T
Reaction score
Just wanted to say "Thanks" to everyone for the help. Everything went perfect and Windows in now running on the macbook.
Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That tutorial was more work than necessary, you could have just used nLite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.