Help with Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I want to start using Mail with my Gmail account. I've set it up and it all works fine as far as I can tell, however I have over 7200 emails in my Gmail inbox and don't really want all of them to go into my Mail inbox because it'd mean downloading over 1.5gb of emails... Is there any way I can set up mail to only download emails received after a certain date? Also, if I delete an email in the Mail application, will it delete from my Gmail inbox too? If so, is there any way I can stop that?

Reaction score
Hi,

Check this Link..

Enabling POP - Help Center

You can stop your Mails getting deleted from the server by going to Mail Preferences > Accounts > Advanced and unchecking "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message"

Cheers,
Gopal

OP
Leukeh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah! Thanks!

Still not able to stop them all from downloading in the first place though. Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Still not able to stop them all from downloading in the first place though. Anyone?

In Mail Prefs, choose Check for New Mail Manually.

If there is a heap of mail on the server, and you neither want it to download nor do you wish to keep it, then go to your gmail account via webmail and delete unwanted mail.

I use this method too when I'm limited to dialup from time to time, and there's a large attachment which is going to take an eternity to load. I go to my mail account via webmail and transfer the large mail+attachment to the server Trash, from where I can retrieve it later when I'm back on broadband, or delete it permanently if it's redundant.

OP
Leukeh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But that's the thing - I do want to keep it, just not on my computer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
If you want to sync your Mail app and your Gmail account you will need to use IMAP and not POP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.