Strange text problem in boxes and menus

Reaction score
Today I notices something really strange on my Mac and I have to idea how to even search for a solution. When I turned it on, i noticed that

- all the text in my iTunes list of songs and artists etc. appears very tight together (meaning there is less space between the lines)
- the text in different boxes (like search boxes in the whole OS, or the URL address like in Safari) is off, instead if being in the middle it's more at the top of the box when i type (and the blinking cursor is smaller then usual also)
- the lines of text in menus (ex. the upper menus of each program) is also tighter together
- Program titles in the upper bar of each window appear at the very top of the bar instead of in the middle

Yesterday I have imported a large amount of fonts (about 2000) to the Font Book application that I had on my previous Windows computer but I have disabled most of them. It is possible that it has anything to do with that?

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks in advance for tips and hints

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Firstly use Main Menu to clean out the font caches.

Secondly, you have probably got a font clash, with one of those fonts interfering with one of the macs system fonts.

Thirdly, I would not use FontBook to manage that many fonts when there is a better app that is free and does a better job of managing fonts (see below)

If you are going to start loading quite a few fonts, font book is not the best app, the free font explorer is much much better

Font Management - Simple, Smart, Free - Linotype FontExplorer X

If you really want to manage your fonts well I suggest the suitcase (another font management tool - not free) guide to best font practices in OS X (the guide is free)

Extensis - Downloads

Just substitute use Suitcase with use Linotype FontExplorer

OP
R
Reaction score
What do you mean by Main Menu? Where can I find this?

Thank you very much for the tip. I will certainly need a program for mac that can handle a lot of fonts

Firstly use Main Menu to clean out the font caches.

Secondly, you have probably got a font clash, with one of those fonts interfering with one of the macs system fonts.

Thirdly, I would not use FontBook to manage that many fonts when there is a better app that is free and does a better job of managing fonts (see below)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Sorry, main Menu is a great general maintenance program

Santa Software | MainMenu

FontExplorer is the best font manager on OSX IMO and free

OP
R
Reaction score
After deleting all the "User" fonts I imported into Font Book, Clearing the Font Cache with Main Menu and restarting everything is in order again.

Thank you for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.