ibook display issue

H

helpmeee

Hey! A friend asked me for help...and I don't have any to give her. Maybe you do?

She's got her ibook temporarily hooked up to an external monitor because her own display has gone dim. Everything else is still working--but she can't see anything on the proper display! I've checked out the forums...it has nothing to do with the angle (and so, nothing to do with the wire, I would guess). She said she let someone use it to connect to a projector just before the problem started happening.

Any suggestions? We'd be much obliged. Thanks!

Reaction score
It is like really really dark but you can still see it kind of? If so it could be the LCD inverter went out, usually not terribly difficult to replace in laptops, don't know specifically about an iBook, cost about $50-$100.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
maybe they unknowingly changed her contrast settings, I believe F15 or some key in that are will adjust the contrast for her. has she opened it at all? the casing I mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well you can adjust the backlight with the F1 + F2 buttons (F2 to increase), so give that a try if you haven't already.

Otherwise got to the Display settings in system prefs and check the settings there...

But it sounds as if the display backlight is set to off.

Try a reboot and maybe a PRAM reset?

OP
H

helpmeee

Thanks guys!

Apparently, when she was trying to adjust the contrast from the keyboard, she didn't realize it wasn't just a toggle...:) When she hit the button a few more times, all was right with the world again.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.