Making a Image

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
Hi All,

I'm Admin on the machine.
G4 Powerbook OS X 10.3

Trying to create a Image of my home directory which is on PB harddrive, and create the image on attached firwire drive and the Firewire drive has plenty of space.

Disk Utility
Images
New
From Folder
Select my home folder and then then
name of image and where to create it.

It seems like it is working on it, then I get the following error " Bad File Descriptor". Nothing ever gets saved to the Firewire drive, don't think the processes makes it that far.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if youre trying to back up your hd or make an image(bootable or not) of it, just use carbon copy cloner. you can even use CCC to backup just your home directory.

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
Macman said:
if youre trying to back up your hd or make an image(bootable or not) of it, just use carbon copy cloner. you can even use CCC to backup just your home directory.

Is Carbon Copy Cloner something you have to go buy or is it part of OS X, I don't see it is why I ask. But, is there something wrong with my approach of making a IMAGE of my home directory?

Thx

Joe

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D

DRIVEN

I agree CCC is the better way to do it. I'm not sure what "Bad File Descriptor" is but maybe you could try logging in as root and backing up that users home directory that way. Maybe it wont let you back it up if you're logged in as that user. Wont hurt to try.

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi All,

I used Carbon Copy Clone and made a clone of the harddrive to the firewire drive, worked great. But, when doing the following:

Disk Utility
Images
New
From Folder
Select my home folder and then
name of image and where to create it.

There seems to be many issues with using this feature, "Bad File Descriptor" or the process complains that the firewire drive is busy, when it is not.

Yesterday I made an image of my movie directory, it actually worked and I have the file movies.dmg. I can mount the image and see all the files, but if I try to launch a dvdproj file it say the file is "Write Protected" but info shows everything read-write, any ideas why I get that error?

I can click on .dv or .mov files in that same image and they open fine and the original dvdproj files launch fine, something happened to them while being put into that image :D

Thx,

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
try copying it to the mac hd and opening from there, it may be too big to be launched from a disk image.

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
try copying it to the mac hd and opening from there, it may be too big to be launched from a disk image.

Is that a limitation of images? There is 50 GB of free space on the firewire drive and the image is 19 GB in size. don't have the space to copy it back to the hard drive unless I delete the original files and don't want to do that with the image giving me problems. Guess I'll copy the originals to firewire drive, just takes forever :(

Thx

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmm, who "owns" the file?

I.e. who has read-write permission, your user account or another?

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
Hmm, who "owns" the file?

I.e. who has read-write permission, your user account or another?

I'm Admin and the only user on this machine.

Thx,

Joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.