Using mac mini as server

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm considering buying a mac mini, as I am very satisfied with my current macbook, but I don't want to use it as desktop, but mainly as server. So I'll probably buy an old mac mini G4 and install tiger/leopard on it and just leave it connected to internet w/o monitor. So my question is, will mac mini be able to handle the job okay? I'll connect an external hdd to it and make mirror raid or something similar, so hdd should not be the problem. Also, I attend to use following servers on it but I don't really know whether such programs exist for OS X:
- print server
- mail server
- web server
- radio streamer
- video streamer maybe, but probably not
- vnc server
- dns server
- ftp server
I want all this software to be as stable, reliable and secure as possible, simplicity is desirable, but not needed, I'll figure it out Smiley
And another question, will all these program work on, say 1.25Ghz G4 mac mini? Thanks for the answers!

Regards,
Matizek

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
I ran Tiger server and then Leopard server on a mac mini for more than a year without any problems whatsoever. I just upgraded the ram to 4gb and on mine stuck a 320Gb HD in it.

OP
M
Reaction score
But does tiger server or leopard server include those applications I wrote? Or can I be able to install tiger (non-server) and 3rd party applications for serving?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.