Clamshell iBook freezes when booting from OS disc

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've inherited an old clamshell iBook that freezes every time I try to boot from the install disc.

The iBook came with 0S9.2 installed and everything seemed to be working OK. I then tried to upgrade it using a retail Jaguar disc and it froze on booting up. Now it won't even load OS9 but instead gives me a blinking folder with a question mark.

When I try to install from the Jaguar boot disc, I get the Apple logo and then it freezes right there. I tried zapping the P-Ram a few times and that didn't fix it. I tried holding Option key when loading to and got to the screen where it lists boot options. I chose OS X and it after the logo comes up, it freezes.

Have also tried re-seating and completely removing the RAM. No difference.

When I go into Verbose mode I get some kind of kernel panic error freeze and the keyboard won't let me input anything.

I did check the firmware version before starting the upgrade and am 99% sure (I don't know a lot about macs) that it was the proper version (4.1.7). I can't check that now as I don't have any access to an OS 9.2 install disc.

Does this sound like a bad hard drive? From what I've read, replacing a hard drive on a clamshell is a bit of a nightmare so would like to avoid trying that if possible. Plus, it seemed to work fine before the upgrade so wondering the HD is the problem. It's not the disc as I tried a second set. Could it be the CD rom drive?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Reaction score
Can't you go back to option key and select 9.2 as startup. You need to get back into 9.2 and forget all about 10.2 for now. You don't have 10.2 ! Get back in 9.2, run software updates, it'll show firmware updates if not installed. In theory the only 9.2 update you should see is iPod updater, no point installing as it's ancient, you're not going to use your ipod in 9.2 anyway. If you see anything other than ipod updater in 9.2 software updates (e.g. airport software 4.2, carbon lib, firmware, etc) you should download and install and reboot. Select startup disk to 9.2 as well.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for quick reply. When I hold option key on startup, I get two arrows. One is a backwards loop, and one is a forward arrow. Clicking on either does nothing. When I insert the disc and hold option, the OSX logo is there but freezes when I click it.

I think my 0S9 needs a reblessing of the system folder or something so can't reach it.

Reaction score
The hard drivei icon/9.2 should be in the middle of the arrows. If you don't see anything in the middle that suggests your hard drive isn't functioning or the ide has an issue on the board, something of that nature. There's a spinning clock thing (tiny icon) that will search for any bootable or connected devices. If the clock stops spinning and you don't see anything between the arrows there's a problem. Yes, the clamshell is a ***** to open but it can be done, just check ifixit's iste.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yeah, there is nothing in between the two buttons after the search. If the system folder needed blessing though (i.e. it couldn't find a startup folder) would the icon still show up? I'm wondering if getting my hands on an OS 9.2. retail disc would help.

If that's not right, I'll just go straight for replacing the HD. Can I just buy any 2.5" laptop drive or does it need to be something special?

Appreciate the help.

OP
G
Reaction score
Another question. I just went into open firmware on startup and it says welcome to Powerbook2, 1 4.1.7f4.

Apple site says I need firmware 4.1.7 to run OSX. Am I running that? I'm wondering what the 2 and the 1 are in front the 4.1.7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.