Boot Camp on Macbook: Reading USBs

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm running Windows XP on my Macbook Pro, and it won't read a USB device when I plug it in; I get that small bubble popping up from the taskbar that says it detected the device (it even says it's name, i.e. Sansa Clip MP3 Player), but it won't show up in My Computer. I've searched the internet and About Boot Camp for an answer to this problem, but I can;t seem to find one. Anyone know how I can access my USB devices?

Thanks!
-Ryan

Reaction score
Ryan,

I don't have an answer for you, but I can tell you that this sometimes happens to me on my purely Windows machine - the player won't show under My Computer, but then it will show when I open Windows Explorer. It's aggravating, and so far I've found no rhyme or reason to how/why it happens.

I guess my point is, it's not just Windows running under Boot Camp or whatever you're using.

Karon

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Do you have any network drives mapped to one of the lower drive letters (i.e. E: or F:)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Is it ALL your USB devices? Or just a select few?

OP
R
Reaction score
Hey thanks for your replies

Karon,

No, unfortunately it's not appearing under Windows Explorer either.

cwa107,

No, nothing is showing up as being mapped to an E, F, etc. drive. There's just The C, D, and then "Scanners and Cameras" options.

Keith,

It will read, for instance, a USB flash drive, but for some reason not my MP3 player and my digital camera. I've updated the firmware and software, though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.