problem connecting to company intranet via VPN

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a small problem which i hope has a simple solution. I am a new Mac convert.

Basically I have set up a VPN to connect to company intranet/exchange server.

I can get the exchange server working no problems and and everything else seems fine, however when I navigate to my company intranet page once connected it takes me to the incorrect page.

Our intranet page is at http://intranet/Pages/welcome.aspx
The browser however always goes to intranet.com

When I connect at work using ethernet it works fine. Only when connected via VPN it does it.

Any help would be much appreciated.
I've tried it in firefox and safari with same results.

It works fine on my windows machine.
I have a new Macbook with all the latest updates etc ...

cheers
Leigh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You need to add your company's DNS servers for the domain to be resolved.

(A DNS server basically tells your Mac what the IP address for any given url is. Normally your browser will just use your internet provider's DNS service, but that obviously won't find the private url your company uses internally...)

If you're using the built-in client, go to System Prefs > Network > VPN > advanced > DNS and enter the DNS server's IP addresses there.

Ask your sysadmin for the IP addresses if you don't know them.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I'll try get the DNS servers address and hopefully it will work.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem, glad to hear it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro with a purdy Reef cover, MacBook, iBook, iPhone, iPod.
I have this same problem, but adding the DNS servers did not work for me. Any suggestions? I can get on the VPN, but I can't access any of the internal servers/sites.

TIA!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does it matter what order the DNS servers are in? Someone suggested I try moving the company one before the automatic one, but the automatic one isn't highlighted and can't be edited....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll send a $10 gift card to whomever can solve this problem!

I'm desperate.. I just started a new job working from home and I need to get this working. Sorry for all the bumps, I just have searched everywhere else!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have this same problem, but adding the DNS servers did not work for me. Any suggestions? I can get on the VPN, but I can't access any of the internal servers/sites.

TIA!
It sounds as though the sites you are trying to access are not within the range of remote networks you've specified.

Are you able to access any resources on the VPN at all? Common mistakes include specifying the wrong subnet mask for the remote network (i.e. 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.255, instead of 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 - the first variation only allows you access to 1.0, the second allows you to anything on 1.x).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I cannot access any of them. Firefox says something to the extent of "although this seems like a legitimiate page, firefox cannot connect to the server"

The company can "see me" on the VPN and it's working (as per the countup in the menu bar), but I can utilize the resources in there. I tried adding the hosts in the terminal, and that didn't work either.

And thank you so much for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and when I connect via ethernet, I can access the web pages (but still cannot use the "softphone).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and when I connect via ethernet, I can access the web pages (but still cannot use the "softphone).
You mean when you are plugged into your office's network via ethernet? Or do you mean when you are connected to your home network via ethernet you can connect via VPN?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean when you are plugged into your office's network via ethernet? Or do you mean when you are connected to your home network via ethernet you can connect via VPN?

Yes, I am working from home, attempting to connect to the company's VPN, which is located across the state.

I can't get on at all now, I've run out of solutions. Any suggestions??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For anyone else who runs into this issue in the future, it turned out that Airport Extreme was the problem. We switched to a Linksys modem and changed some settings and all is well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.