iPhone sinking !!!

Reaction score
Hi all (who read this!)

Okay, so I have an iMac sinked with my iPhone but now I've realised it would be more practical to sink my iPhone with my old but very trustworthy, powerbook g4. I think that if I just sink the iPhone with the laptop then I will loose the apps that I have put on the iPhone since getting it.

Is this correct?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook, 16gb white iPhone 3G, 16gb iPod Touch, 4gb iPod Mini
are you trying to sink your iPhone or Sync your iPhone? totally different meaning and for a moment you got me "scared" ;)...anyway, you're right..syncing with another computer will deleter your iPhone's content unless you follow some intructions..

The OP is asking about the Apps, not the media content.

Yes, if you SYNC your iPhone with your Powerbook, and your Powerbook does not have music/videos/photos/contacts/etc. on it, the information already in your iPhone will be erased. This can be worked around though, as there are ways to copy your media from your iPhone to your Powerbook.

In terms of Apps, you will never lose those. As soon as you sync your iPhone to your Powerbook, your Powerbook will see that your iPhone is associated with an iTunes account, and sync with it. All of your iPhone Apps will be copied over to iTunes on the Powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3G 16gb, Macbook Pro 15.4, 4gb ram, 320gb hd
As soon as you sync your iPhone to your Powerbook, your Powerbook will see that your iPhone is associated with an iTunes account, and sync with it. All of your iPhone Apps will be copied over to iTunes on the Powerbook.

That is not entirely correct. First you will need to Authorize the Powerbook for iTunes, "Store>Authorize Computer..." . Then once you sync your iPhone up, you will need to go to "Edit> Transfer purchases from iPhone" this will copy all of the Apps from the iPhone to the iTunes database. But a note on that, to sync the apps with the Powerbook you still will need to go select the App sync option and allow it to "overwrite" the existing apps. I am not entirely sure if this will actually wipe the iPhone and reinstall the apps or what. I have yet to do it on my new Macbook Pro, just copied them over for now.

If you are not going to use your PC with your iPhone anymore I would recommend Deauthorizing the iTunes so you do not accidentally lose one of your 5 authorizations. I forgot to do this when I returned my old Macbook Pro for the new ones this week, what a bummer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.