Can't install ram...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83GHz; iPhone 3G
help.. I've been trying to unscrew the three screws on my Macbook for the past hour.. This thing is seriously impossible. I've tried 7 different types of tools, but nothing will get the middle screw out. The left and right screw came out easily.. it's just the middle one that is stuck. Any suggestions? This is so frustrating......

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I had the same thing happen to me when swapping out the hard drive on my old Toshiba notebook. The very small phillips screws can easily be damaged if the wrong tool is used. Once the head of the screw is stripped away it usually requires drilling out.

If you have a very narrow bladed standard screwdriver (not a phillips) with a wide handle, it's possible to exert enough downward pressure on the screw while at the same time turning it. That's how I removed the screws on my Toshiba - and it was not just one screw, it was several that were stubborn.

You might also try a tiny drop of silicon base oil in and around the screw. Let it set for several hours before attempting to remove. DO NOT use ordinary oil as it may cause damage to the plastic housing.

Regards.

OP
Daisy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply.

..the screw is stripped.. so the only way is to drill it out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
quite often as long as the middle one is loose the plate will come out, this has happened to me several times on different macs, and I found the middle one does not remove entirely, but enough to lift the plate out. Try it

OP
Daisy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
quite often as long as the middle one is loose the plate will come out, this has happened to me several times on different macs, and I found the middle one does not remove entirely, but enough to lift the plate out. Try it

I can't get the middle screw to move at all.. any other suggestions? I tried to Google the problem, and many say that it is best to take it to an Apple store, but the closest one is almost an hour drive away. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I can't get the middle screw to move at all.. any other suggestions? I tried to Google the problem, and many say that it is best to take it to an Apple store, but the closest one is almost an hour drive away. :(

If you've stripped the screw, then you had best let someone who knows exactly what they are doing get it out. Unless you really want to risk damaging your computer even further.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Daisy:

Sorry to hear the screw is stripped. Do you know any good auto mechanics who might be able to help you out? Usually they have a set of screw and bolt removers for just that situation. The problem would be is if they have one small enough to tap into the damaged screw.

Also, someone who is skillful with tools should be able to drill it out for you without doing any damage to the plate.

If you take it to the Apple store, that's the procedure they will probably use (drill it out). But be prepared to pay... $$$

Regards and good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I think it's worth the hour drive for this issue, well that's only if you value your Mac.

I'd be there in a heartbeat, sorry to hear about your problem.

Reaction score
on my macbook it was pretty simple. I screwed each screw evenly instead of taking them out one by one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.