Safari and Firefox both not working properly

Reaction score
I just did a clean install on leopard, it all went smoothly. then i downloaded firefox.

but when i open either firefox or safari, when i click on a link instead of going thru to the page i clicked on which all browsers normally do, the page downloads as html, the downloads folder starts bouncing in the dock, grrrrrr, and i get a popup that says (name of file i downloaded) is a web application which was downloaded from the internet. are you sure you want safari or (firefox) to open it. then i have to click YES to get the page to open.

i went to my preferences, everything seems to be in order, the box is checked the open "safe" files after downloading box is checked.

is this some kind of permission problem? i can't figure out what to do, and obviously can't use my browsers. i'm totally stuck!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a strange one. :[ I would completely uninstall both Safari and Firefox.

But before you do, download Safari from Apple and keep it in your downloads folder.

Apple - Safari - Download After the download is completed, remove both Safari and Firefox. Just drag them to the Trash. Now, reinstall Safari. Do not download and install Firefox until you get Safari working right.

Once Safari is working right, download and install Firefox.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo / 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / 80GB HD
Not to discount your problem, but was this just one particular URL that was giving you the problem, or is it every URL you visit?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.