Finder won't shut down because delete is hanging

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I can't get the trash/delete function to stop. It's been hanging for more than an hour saying "Preparing to delete immediately". It's my Aperture library, which resides on an external HD. I can not eject the HD because it's "in use", and I can neither log out or shut down my MBP because finder won't quit. I keep hitting the "x" on the trash window, which is supposed to stop it from deleting, but that's not working either. And there's no force quit for this procedure.

The size of my Aperture library is around 13 gigs I believe (though my photo library is larger, so not sure if that's accurate).

Aside from doing a hard reboot, what can I do ?

It finally stopped, but the library is still there.. Meh.

Doug

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Thanks Lou. I tried what was suggested on that page, as it seems that this is my problem:

When dragging files to the Trash from removable media, such as a Zip® disk, it is common for Trash to inform you that the files will be deleted immediately. I suspect this was a design choice due to every writable volume having its own Trash folder. If you ejected the Zip disk before emptying the Trash, the files you thought were deleted would still be in the Zip disk's .Trashes folder at the root (top) level of its directory. Hence Mac OS X will immediately delete files moved to the Trash from removable media. This also depends upon the firmware of the device informing Mac OS X that it is a removable media device.

My permissions are good, but I get no love from it at all. I was able to stop it from deleting, but only with an -43 error or something. It did not delete anything, either. So it would seem that it's almost impossible to delete my Aperture library, which is making it impossible for me to use Aperture in the first place, because I'm getting a message stating that there's an inconsistency in the data base.

Unfortunately, neither rebuilding or the other option upon start up does anything. Now I'm stuck with no way to use Aperture.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.