Sound Quality on itunes 8

Reaction score
Is it me, or does anyone else notice an increase in sound quality when using itunes 8? I know you can import CDs in a higher format, but even mp3s seem to sound better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
Is it me, or does anyone else notice an increase in sound quality when using itunes 8? I know you can import CDs in a higher format, but even mp3s seem to sound better.

No, I didn't notice that with 8. BUT ... I just installed the iTunes 8.01 update this afternoon and immediately noticed a dramatic DECREASE in the sound quality of MP3s. (I didn't notice any qualitative difference in AAC files.) I plugged my iPod with the exact same MP3s into the same speaker system and verified that the new iTunes is now much, much worse sounding than the iPod on those files. iTunes 8.01 plays back MP3s with a muffled high end and a very obvious low end distortion (enough so that I at first thought I might have blown a speaker). One set of MP3s on which this is immediately noticeable is "Art of Motion" by Andy McKee (256K high quality MP3s purchased from the Amazon MP3 store).

I am very disappointed. This is the first time I've accepted a downloaded update from Apple and regretted it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Does it only effect MP3s then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
I hadnt noticed anything... and ive got 8.01

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does it only effect MP3s then?

If you are asking about my 8.0.1 problem ... then yes, as far as I have been able to determine, it only seems to affect MP3s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hadnt noticed anything... and ive got 8.01

It might depend on the type of music - it isn't very noticeable on MP3s of music that is already loud and distorted, but on clean, percussive acoustic music (like solo acoustic guitar) it is VERY noticeable ... in fact it is entirely unlistenable.

It might also be something specific about the file format of these Amazon MP3 files (256k VBR). But the files have sounded perfect through several iTunes upgrades, right up until 8.0.1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Have you all checked your iTunes playback preferences to make sure Sound enhancer isn't on?

Reaction score
secret volcanic lair below Mt Rainier, WA.
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz MBP, Core 2 Duo
I'm having approximately same as Mystic describes; 'upgrading to iTunes 8.0 has made my iTunes library sound like poorly compressed 40 kbps crap'. Began after upgrading my 7.x to 8.0.2; thought at first my speakers were blown but experienced same on headphones; tested it's not my Macbook Pro's sound-card by playing .MP3s in browser which sound normal.

All music played via iTunes since upgrade sounds awful: trebles are virtually absent, low end frequencies are muddy, mid-range is relatively untouched; everything sounds like it was ripped at 40 kbps and "compression-sound" is overwhelming. It's occurring w/ the gamut of sound files in my iTunes library: .MP3's (constant and variable bit rates from 128 - 320 kbps), AAC's ripped from CD's (160 - 300'ish kbps) and purchased AAC's from iTunes store. Multiple combinations of disabling and re-enabling Sound Enhancer and Sound Check in iTunes as well as disabling / re-enabling the EQ (Window > Equalizer) have not resolved.

Everything coming through my iPod Touch sounds perfect as usual as well as music played outside iTunes i.e. games and music through Safari or FireFox.

I updated both iTunes and Quicktime within past week through Software Update, so not sure yet if it's caused by one or the other. For street cred., I'm a long-time musician and work in i.t. system ops. / Mac freak, so while certainly not infallible I'm going to dismiss this being user error on my part and current culprit seems either iTunes or Quicktime update. A thousand blessings on anyone w/ some thoughts, tips...cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz MBP, Core 2 Duo
Found some odd stuff and a fix:
Changing left/right balance (via Audio MIDI Setup in Utilities folder, or easier in System Prefs. > Sound) to either all left or all right channel completely resolved: treble tinniness gone, muffled sound gone, awful audible compression artifacts gone, etc.; plus all sound still came through both speakers and headphones which shouldn't happen if I'm running only all left/right - so something goofy was happening. On weird hunch I unplugged the audio splitter I have plugged into my Macbook audio-out port (I had headphones plugged into one output on it and speakers into the other; it's a Belkin splitter). All audio problems completely resolved once I removed the audio-out splitter (yes, I changed channels/balance back to 'normal' so I'm hearing my normal two-channel, balanced sound, both left and right).

@Mystic - do you have your audio output from Mac being split by anything? I've never had an issue w/ my audio splitter on three different Mac's in eight years, but something in either recent iTunes 8.0.x update or Quicktime is having a meltdown w/ my splitter so I'll be manually changing speakers/headphone connection when I switch between them. I'm curious if you're also using a splitter - hope this might help, as well.

Reaction score
killing either of the two channels showing (clicking Mute on either channel) completely resolves;

You are hearing the channels phasing out each other. I have no idea why this would happen because of a software upgrade.

However, I have had users phone me about this problem on audio rigs, and its usually a dodgy or incorrect wired cable that causes the channels to interfere with one another and phasing occurs. (causing the horrible sound - and yes, I know exactly how it sounds)

For what its worth, try changing your minijack or whatever you connect to your audio with. I know you said its software, but just try it anyway.

It probably wont fix it, but I just thought Id maybe throw in an explanantion of whats happening. Im not a software engineer so I dont know why software would do that. At least we know what its doing.

I apologise if my post is inaccurate as far as terms and language go, but its late and Im not feeling exceptionally engineerish or english now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz MBP, Core 2 Duo
Thanks Henvan, for info and suggestion; they're appreciated.
Ha, pretty obvious I'm not super-studio-musician when i couldn't describe phasing very well other than 'bad net-radio compression sound', huh.

I don't have way to test if splitter itself went dodgy and took a siesta from normal functioning, it's only one I have at present...is distinct possibility though. If it's strictly hardware (splitter) causing channel problem, pretty random/odd that it manifested immediately after iTunes/Quicktime update, but me dismissing possibility it is hardware and the updates were just coincidental timing wouldn't be good detective work on my end. I'll see what happens after buying another splitter in near future and how she fares w/ the Macbook. And your post was perfect for engineerish-ness and english - the mental-meat you threw out made good sense and that's name of game in communication. Thanks again, cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
Why does Itunes automatically compress the audio in the first place? Every time I export a project from protools or what ever I'm using, I have to verify the quality with the Itunes playback. It's really starting to get on my nerves...

Reaction score
Why does Itunes automatically compress the audio in the first place?

Hi, Im not sure I understand what you mean. iTunes has a sound enhancer on by default, which can be disabled in prefrences.

However, since most people have the sound enhancer on I also check my tracks with itunes before mastering. If you have decent monitors and have a clean mix, then the sound enhancer wont do damage. However, if you have a lot of harmonics and unnnececary frequencies in the mix, the sound enhancer will make it sound even worse.

Reaction score
I don't have way to test if splitter itself went dodgy and took a siesta from normal functioning, it's only one I have at present...is distinct possibility though. If it's strictly hardware (splitter) causing channel problem, pretty random/odd that it manifested immediately after iTunes/Quicktime update, but me dismissing possibility it is hardware and the updates were just coincidental timing wouldn't be good detective work on my end. I'll see what happens after buying another splitter in near future and how she fares w/ the Macbook.

Cool friedman, keep us posted. It will be interesting to find out what the problem was.

Cheers

Reaction score
I actually have noticed a sound increase too. I used to complain all the time as to how quiet my Macbook was- but I really haven't found that to be the case anymore- I've even had to turn down the volume a bit cause it was too loud! Imagine that! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
Hi, Im not sure I understand what you mean..

Hey Henvan,
When you import audio to itunes, it automatically compresses it by default. At least that's what I've been told by people in the industry. A lot of people don't realize it, but once it was pointed out, it's clear as day. I do know of the sound enhancer, which I am not a fan of.
I upgraded to the protools HD set up about a year ago..amazing, with the yamaha HS-80's. They're decent monitors, but better than most. What set-up are you running?

Reaction score
Hey Henvan,
When you import audio to itunes, it automatically compresses it by default. At least that's what I've been told by people in the industry. A lot of people don't realize it, but once it was pointed out, it's clear as day. I do know of the sound enhancer, which I am not a fan of.
I upgraded to the protools HD set up about a year ago..amazing, with the yamaha HS-80's. They're decent monitors, but better than most. What set-up are you running?

Thats interesting. Ive never had iTunes compress any of my files. Maybe it depends on what file you give it. I usually pop .aiff in from logic. It definately does not get compressed. I'll have a look into this.

As far as my rig is concerned, I use the KRK RP6's with a RP10s. I must say, they dont sound awesome, but once you get to know then they are acceptable. Personally I like the HS80's a bit better. I dont do that much studio work. I usually engineer at live concerts, so the KRK's are fine for me.

Thanks for the interesting info about iTunes. Ill see what I can find out!

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8-Core, 8800 GT
Regarding the original post, I have not noticed a difference between AAC and MP3 since iTunes 8. I've actually been encoding more MP3 lately as well, to be compatible with my new car's factory head unit as well as my iPod. Everything sounds as it should.

When you import audio to itunes, it automatically compresses it by default. At least that's what I've been told by people in the industry. A lot of people don't realize it, but once it was pointed out, it's clear as day. I do know of the sound enhancer, which I am not a fan of. I upgraded to the protools HD set up about a year ago..

iTunes does what you tell it to do, and you can easily see what it has done if you have the proper display options enabled. As an "industry" person, I always do (file type, size, bit rate, etc.). I'll often have multiple versions of our music ready to use, and don't want to grab the wrong file for the wrong purpose.

I know when Logic generates an audio file with the option to send it to iTunes, it does any compression on its own first. It's a simple thing to watch it work. If this is happening during Pro Tools export, perhaps that's where the problem is. Or is this just anecdotal so far?

Reaction score
Ok, well...I am NOT a complete audiophile, I won't lie to you.

But that's ok, because even as a layperson I can tell the difference between "high definition audio" and "The muffeled sounds of Fisher Price Beat Box from 1986".

And I'm telling you all right now, on my system....the new Itunes 8 sounds exactly like that beat box.

And I know that its a problem with itunes....because playback is still crystal clear in the quicktime player.

So anyway...I've adjusted the equalizer, turned off sound enhancer...and guess what the end result is?

Its just like trying to equalize audio that's being streamed on a 14.K modem. It doesn't even come close to addressing the problem.

Throw like 9 pillows over your speakers right now, and that's pretty much what my audio sounds like....equalization is not fixing that. Its too severe.

So my question is....is there a driver update that can fix this?

And barring that, is there a good music player / burner that can import in your itunes library?

Cause uh....this is no where close to even listenable.

- Zero

P.S. I'm on a non-intel G5 by the way. I have had some people say that the new itunes sounds BETTER than the previous ones....and I would be interested to know if those people just so happened to have intel macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.