ext. HD - System Profilers says Unable to list FireWire devices

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
Ok first off i have to say, i have encountered a very, very strange problem. I have purchased a WD My book Home Edition from eBay 3 days ago. I turned it on and connected it to my imac, via usb and installed all the files. (Wasn't really needed) So then i plug in the fire wire after safely removing the USB part. It doesn't recognize anything. I open Disk utility and nothing is shown for a my book. So i open System profiler to see if it is my firewire drive and it says -
FireWire Bus:

Warning: Unable to list FireWire devices.
Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec

So i thought it was the drive. So i plug it into my Macbook via firewire, and right away it finds the drive. So nothing is wrong with the drive. So i restart my computer and reset the pram, and start it up. Again, nothing. So i came to think is it my firewire slot? So i plug in my camera via firewire, and it picks up right away. So im stuck in a VERY VERY strange frustrating situation and it seems its doing it for no reason.

Another thing i should add, I also have windows on my imac, so i booted up windows and i plugged in the firewire and again, nothing. But my computer does recognize something is plugged in. I am stuck.

Please if anyone here has any suggestions dont hesitate to help me! :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
FW 400 or 800?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
does it work ok with USB connection? I had a similar problem with a WD drive and just started using the USB.

OP
Luminosity
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
Yea the usb works perfect. Thats what its hooked with right now. The thing i dont understand is if i plug it in doing the following:
Unplug HDD power, unplug firewire, then connect power, connect firewire, it will show up as My book and then disappear. Im so confused.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.