My First Actual Edited Image

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi guys, I worked on this one for about 20 minutes. I'm very new to Photoshop, so I know it's choppy and could use improvement, that's why I'm posting here. I want to make this photo my new avatar, but I want to know if that's the right slogan, colours, how could I improve the quality etc.

Also could you rate it out of 5?

MacLogo1 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hmm.
I just started with graphics and I use GIMP which is free.
The colors look a little... messed up. Grainy?
I don't really like the slogan, and it's hard to see the text.
But I like the idea. Very original. :)

OP
KeithTeeple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you. Yeah, I thought the text needed some work too. Any suggestions for a slogan, or text colour placement etc.

And what should I do to the colours sharpen them up a bit, make them more vibrant?

Reaction score
One note on text use in general.

In photoshop, when you hit the text tool, the text tool bar (where you select the font/size etc'...) there is an option for text "build".

I've taken a screenshot and added two red lines around the thing I'm talking about.

textbarxo8.jpg

That box that I've underlined, when you click that, change the setting to something like "Smooth". This won't give your text that rough and "crusty" look that it has.

Also, if you save your image as a Jpeg, then make sure you set the quality to the max. You can leave the format option at baseline, but make sure you make it the max quality.

Either that, or save your images as .PNG.

Jpeg's are fine, just remember to save at the best quality.

Keep playing around with the colors, and slogans. It all comes through practice and patience. Have fun with it!

Best,
-AC

P.S. I realized you asked us to rate it out of 5. Well, to be 100% honest, I'd give it a 2.5-ish. Not that it's bad, it just needs more work and time on it. I'm sure you will get the hang of everything very soon. Remember not to "enlarge" images more than their original size. It'll distort, and pixellate the image, which in turn will look pretty bad. Familiarize yourself with the different tools and filters. Like the blurs and layer modes. Check out some Photoshop tutorials too. Places like Good Tutorials are great places to get some tutorials!

Reaction score
Greetings

I agree with AConfire re the image format. JPEG's are 'lossy' so that every time you save it, reopen and save again, you lose quality. PNG's and TIFF's are better until you are entirely satisfied with your efforts. Then you can safely save as a JPEG if you want to.

Cheers M

OP
KeithTeeple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, I set the quality to max. Thanks for the tip on smoothing the text.

Reaction score
Hmm.
I just started with graphics and I use GIMP which is free.
The colors look a little... messed up. Grainy?
I don't really like the slogan, and it's hard to see the text.
But I like the idea. Very original. :)

The idea is very original? He just took the old mac logo and painted it different colors and put a blurb at the bottom. If it was original he would have designed the entire thing from scratch w/ a fresh idea.

OP
KeithTeeple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The idea is very original? He just took the old mac logo and painted it different colors and put a blurb at the bottom. If it was original he would have designed the entire thing from scratch w/ a fresh idea.

I wasn't the logo, it was the colours of the logo, and the slogan to go along with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.