2.66 or 2.88 Processor???

Reaction score
I'm in the process of purchasing an iMac, switching from a PC, and am an avid photographer, using Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CS. I'm trying to decide between the 2.66 and 2.88 processors. Either way, I will be going to 4 GB of RAM. Is there really that much difference between the 2 processors that would justify the extra cost?

Thanks for all replies. Jan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
The difference will not be noticeable. I would put the money into something more useful like a nice mouse and keyboard set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Didn't you already ask this in another thread?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I concur. Go 2.66, and spend your money on RAM. You will see the big gain there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16GB Iphone 3G iMac next week!
im buying a new iMac next week!!!
ok, i had to edit my post because i read your first post wrong ..

i was originally going to get an iMac 20", but after endlessly searching the internet for the last 3 weeks, as well as going to the apple store and mac store (they are a chain up here in the PNW that is an authorized reseller) and comparing the 20" to the 24" running the same programs, the screen quality on the 24" is much, much better.

I asked the difference in speed between the 2.66 ghz and the 2.8 ghz and if i would notice a difference when running CS4, and the guy said i wouldn't. The biggest differences in speed and performance are going to be ram (always buy the 2GB and buy a 2x2GB stick from newegg and upgrade yourself) and the graphics card. The difference between the 256MB and the 512MB card is going to be tremendous, especially since CS4 is going to be more graphics and resource hungry more than ever before.

The 512MB card only is available on the 24" model, and it is a $180 option on the 2.8 ghz model.

I am an avid photographer as well, and the need for processing a 40-60MB file (sometimes a 32bit file as well) with several programs open at once will essential.

Also one last thing. For me, spending the extra $400ish (wireless keyboard, graphics card) over the 20" iMac is worth it because this computer will last me through school atleast. (i am going to art school for photography and web design).

good luck with your choice. i cannot wait until next friday!!!!!!

Reaction score
What about the 2.4GHz vs. 2.66GHz both with 6MB cache and 1066FSB and 4GB of RAM?

I plan on doing Final Cut Pro and Photoshop CS3, (which already works pretty well with my 2.16GHz macbook albeit a few slow downs in FCP).

Is it safe to assume the difference will not be that noticeable?
(I plan on upgrading to 4GB of RAM)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
I might be really stupid

but just in case, I bought the 20 inch and upgraded to the 2 gig of ram. I then went to upgrade to 4 but they had given me 1 and 1. It meant I had to replace it all. It would have been cheaper to buy the original with 1 and throw that away. So, I guess the stupid part is not asking them to put in 1 2 instead of 2 1 x 1 or even inquiring at the time. So when Dustin says buy the 2, I would ask what you are getting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16GB Iphone 3G iMac next week!
i am unsure of the imac's that come with 1Gb of ram. I know that it is upgradable to 4GB. I am sure it 2 slots of 512mb ram. Then just swap it out for 2 x 2GB ram. The 2GB models have 2 x 1GB ram. atleast that is what i have read. i think you can get a 2 x 2GB (4 GB total) for about $80 at newegg. dealram might have comparable prices, but i havent really checked with them. Frys has good deals as well.

Reaction score
What about the 2.4GHz vs. 2.66GHz both with 6MB cache and 1066FSB and 4GB of RAM?

I plan on doing Final Cut Pro and Photoshop CS3, (which already works pretty well with my 2.16GHz macbook albeit a few slow downs in FCP).

Is it safe to assume the difference will not be that noticeable?
(I plan on upgrading to 4GB of RAM)

With 4 gigs you wont notice much difference for the time being until 2.8 or 3.4 become the new standard lol.

Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking, that the 2.4GHz should be fine. Well, being a college student and paying back a car loan limits my finances. I'll probably stick with the 2.4GHz iMac seeing as I will beef up the RAM. However, with my luck they will probably update the specs like a week after I buy mine in November. lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.