• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is This A Good Deal????? Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
sounds good to me. do you know if it works?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Wow that looks great, and it's up to date. Plus, you can always upgrade it if you want, go for it.

OP
W
Reaction score
quick question.

if this is an old G5, this doesnt have the new Intel chip right? if so, will this give me problems if i want to add onto this machine down the road? (say with new versions of Pro Tools, Final Cut, etc)

also, when buying a used machine, what should i look for? just run a disk utility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No it is not Intel and that is a buying negative with the next OS, X.6 named Snow Leopard reportedly multi core Intel only. With Snow Leopard's launch in about 9 months or so, expect non Intel machines to lose value rapidly.

It is always a bit of a lottery buying used computers. Ask for the system install discs that came with the machine, Apple Hardware Test is on these discs, does it include the Leopard install DVD and history.

OP
W
Reaction score
so what will happen when Snow Leopard comes out as far as program installation and performance?

i'm a bit confused on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If the speculation is correct Snow Leopard and future new Operating Systems will be Intel only, you (and I) will be left using Leopard or Tiger. No doubt updates will continue for a couple of years then I guess we will go the way OS 9 went with no support. Also in time software will be released in Intel only.

Personally if I were to look at another machine would have to be say an Intel Mac Pro to handle the new Operating Systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
A little steep for a PPC computer. I know, I know they sell that much, but if I were you, I would really look into Apple's current sale on refurbished iMacs. They have a deal where you can get an intel iMac for $999 which is MUCH faster than a PPC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.