Thin vertical lines on screen

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 3 year old G4 laptop. I now have 4 thin vertical lines appearing on my screen. The number of lines has slowly expanded in the last 4 months. I took my laptop to the genius bar and they told me that this is simply light pixels burning out and they could fix it but it would cost over $300.

Do all Mac computers have this problem after 3 years or so? Is there an alternate solution to the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Mike Ruggeri

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Not ALL powerbooks have this problem.

Reaction score
I had the vertical lines issue, and as I have been connecting my g4 to a lcd via svideo cable, everytime I went to system prefererence/display/detect display/ and played around with resolution/ after using my g4 to watch tv about 5 times i notice all horizontal and one line that ryn from the bottom left to the top right gone. I notice the last line mention only came out when watching tv. so far this is my 6 day and the vertical lines have not appear.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a 3 year old G4 laptop. I now have 4 thin vertical lines appearing on my screen. The number of lines has slowly expanded in the last 4 months. I took my laptop to the genius bar and they told me that this is simply light pixels burning out and they could fix it but it would cost over $300.

Do all Mac computers have this problem after 3 years or so? Is there an alternate solution to the problem?

This is a defect that could occur with any LCD screen not necessarily your G4 notebook. I've even seen it occur on a new LCD monitor fresh out of the box.

There is no alternate solution to repairing the display other than replacing it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerPC G4, 1.67 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM
Defect hardware devices?

A lot of theories go about the graphics card, and I guess they may be right from time to time.
But, I had for 9 months or so purple horizontal lines coming and going on my 4+ years PB g4 alu, and I noticed they especially would turn up when gif/flash ads containing a lot of orange were showing in a browser.
From time to time the screen would also go entirely black, and, a few weeks ago, it would suddenly just go to sleep mode.

I opened my PowerBook (have done it before, when replacing HD), and noticed after a day or two that it went to sleep every time I covered the LEFT light sensor. Hah. After some searching, it turned out that removing the RIGHT light sensor solved it all. Light sensors are now deactivated, but so what, I have ordered a new right light sensor, and I have not seen the pink/purple lines ever again.
My PB has a ATI 9700 card.

Just an idea that I hope might be useful for someone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.