Freezing Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB G4. 15" 512MB RAM & EMac G4 superdrive
My eMac has been sick for awhile. I goobered it up to begin with by accidently transferring files from my PB to the eMac and messed up some system files. I would completely lock up and the 3 key force quit wouldn't even work. I tool it over to the Apple store and they performed an archive and install of the OS which is 10.3. Unfortunately they sent me on my way after that without checking to see if it worked properly. I got it home and began to download the updates like the tech said and it imediately locked up. The force quit diod work this time. I'm not sure what to do at this point except take it back to the store which is a real hassle since it is in another town. I was hoping someone could give me some info on things to check to try and fix the problem. It is an eMac running OS 10.3, with 1 GB RAM. It originally had 256 MB RAM but I upgraded it. So, any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do you have the Panther install disc in order to erase the drive and do a clean install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
This is what I would do if I were you:
If you do not have the Panther disks for the eMac, buy them off of ebay.
Save everything you want from your hard drive and then wipe it clean. It has an internal system error which is a royal pain to get rid of without just a clean install.

Reaction score
Would something like Disk Warrior be able to fix this without requiring a complete re-install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Who knows? Use DW 4.1 personally but is going to set you $100 to find out.

OP
scubagal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB G4. 15" 512MB RAM & EMac G4 superdrive
I could not find the restore disc that came with the eMac but I had one for my PB and used it. I guess it didn't work because it still froze up when trying to do the updates. So, since the techs at the Apple store did an archive and install it means that the old problem is still there requiring a clean install? Should it have the original RAM in it for the install or is the upgraded 1 GB ok?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
No, the PB restore disk wouldn't work with your eMac. It requires disks that are specific to that model and OS, in your case Panther (I gather).

No, the replacement/upgraded RAM should not affect installation of a fresh OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.