switching just became alot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
amen:mac:
I love that thing, I could buy one, I have the money, but I need that money for other things.

OP
M

MacMini27

Ya , I would buy one righ tnow, but Uncle Sam wants His tax money from last year paid in full right now!!!!! Yikes!!!!!!!!

OP
S

SpliceDWDM

MacAwesome

Well, I've finally done it, I've purchased a Mac; a Mac Mini to be exact. :cool:

I'm very impressed by the design - it's sooo small! In fact, I was pretty amazed that they fit it into a smaller form factor than my Shuttle SB61G2 (http://www.shuttle.com).

I can't wait to see what the Mac world is all about.

Here are the specs for my new box:
· 1.42GHz G4
· 512MB DDR RAM
· 80GB UATA HDD
· Superdrive
· 56K V.92 modem

Cheers!
SpliceDWDM
Ontario, Canada

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Saw an article about the new mini so I went to apple's website to check it out. Thought it looked cool, and one thing led to another, and now it looks like I'm gunna own my first apple product in 15 years. :mac:

I was a big apple fan back in the day-- started out with an Apple ][+, upgraded to a //e, and a //c, and owned (believe it or not) an apple ///+ (an orphan if there ever was one) and a Lisa/XL. $500.00 brings me back into the fold I guess. OK, more like $800.00 with upgrades-- guess I'm too much of a geek to go the plain vanilla route.

· 1.42GHz G4
· 512MB RAM
· 80GB HD
· Combo drive
· 56K V.92 modem
. Bluetooth + Airport

Now I just have to wait 3 or 4 weeks for the thing to show up.

I'm thinking these minis are gunna be a big hit.

OP
C

cadsmn

That has to be just about the coolest thing I have ever seen. I must have one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17"
512MB enough in Mini?

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on my first Apple purchase with the Mac Mini.

I know 1 gig would be better but is 512 sufficient for normal household stuff (word, excel, photos, internet, dvd copying)?

The increase in price for the 1gig is crazy but I'm only considering it because the ram is not user upgradeable.

OP
?

)(*

the only reason for me to have 1GB of ram is if i used photoshop or did massive video editing. but for what your doing, your ok. because OSX has brilliant memory management.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17"
)(* said:
the only reason for me to have 1GB of ram is if i used photoshop or did massive video editing. but for what your doing, your ok. because OSX has brilliant memory management.

as far as video, I've mostly just been ripping dvd video and compressing and burning.

OP
R

rnwjr

Looking to Switch...

I am looking to switch as a result of the Mac Mini, but am concerned about how the upgrade from 10.3 to 10.4 will go... I am intending to install Virtual PC 7.0 and am expecting upgrade problems just like with Windows. I am not sure of this and was wondering what some Mac users felt. Also if we buy the Mini on 1/22 will we be eligible for a free upgrade to 10.4 or will we most likely have to fork over the $129.00... Also will the Mini then start shipping with 10.4 after it is released? Not sure of the requirements and not sure if I should wait... I really want this switch to go well as I have had great experiences with my iPod's......

Thanks in advance...
-Bob

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
here how I see it. If you receive the Mac mini any time after the release of 10.4 you will get it installed on the system. If you get your Mac mini a few days before the release of 10.4 you might be able to get it free. But if you get it the hardware next month and OS 10.4 comes out in June, then you will have to pay for it.

OP
K

Kjeld Hvatum

I just ordered mine, I thought the difference 13% performance difference between the 1.25 and the 1.42 was worth the extra $100. This will be my first Mac ever, I'm getting it as a second monitor. It'll drive my 21" Viewsonic LCD and I'll use it surf the web, play music, load my iPod, and not crash while my main PC is doing more CPU intensive things such as running VB.Net and Far Cry. My configuration is the following:

1.42 GHz G4
256 Mb RAM (Will be upgraded to 1024 Mb)
Superdrive
Bluetooth + Airport Extreme (It'll function as an Ad-Hoc base station)

I've already ordered a 1024 Mb stick of Crucial RAM from Newegg.com, so I'll probably be one of the first to update everyone here on the difficulty of installing your own RAM. The beauty of OSX, Windows and Redhat is that Synergy works perfectly between them. My PC will be the primary host, my Redhat server and Apple Mini will be the slaves. That means I only use my one keyboard and mouse, but I can drag my mouse to the left or right and it acts as if I only had one monitor. The mouse jumps from the right corner of my PC LCD to the left corner of my Apple LCD. It's like Dual Display but better, because it's actually Dual computers!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/synergy2/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Kjeld Hvatum said:
I just ordered mine, I thought the difference 13% performance difference between the 1.25 and the 1.42 was worth the extra $100. This will be my first Mac ever, I'm getting it as a second monitor. It'll drive my 21" Viewsonic LCD and I'll use it surf the web, play music, load my iPod, and not crash while my main PC is doing more CPU intensive things such as running VB.Net and Far Cry. My configuration is the following:

1.42 GHz G4
256 Mb RAM (Will be upgraded to 1024 Mb)
Superdrive
Bluetooth + Airport Extreme (It'll function as an Ad-Hoc base station)

I've already ordered a 1024 Mb stick of Crucial RAM from Newegg.com, so I'll probably be one of the first to update everyone here on the difficulty of installing your own RAM. The beauty of OSX, Windows and Redhat is that Synergy works perfectly between them. My PC will be the primary host, my Redhat server and Apple Mini will be the slaves. That means I only use my one keyboard and mouse, but I can drag my mouse to the left or right and it acts as if I only had one monitor. The mouse jumps from the right corner of my PC LCD to the left corner of my Apple LCD. It's like Dual Display but better, because it's actually Dual computers!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/synergy2/

That sounds awesome..
Yum

OP
G

gesteves

Wow, thanks for the info, I finally solved my space problem in my desktop ;)

Do you know if I can somehow map the Windows key to the Command key when I'm in my Mac OS screen?

OP
K

Kjeld Hvatum

gesteves said:
Wow, thanks for the info, I finally solved my space problem in my desktop ;)

Do you know if I can somehow map the Windows key to the Command key when I'm in my Mac OS screen?

Hmmm, I've not yet tried it out on an Apple as I still don't have my Mini. I recall Alt being the default command modifier though. This post leads me to believe that there might be a bug in the latest version of Synergy. You could try reverting to version 1.1.4 on the client machine to see if that solves the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.