Mackbook pro died after 1 year and 21 days

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I don't know how to start because you guys can see from the title, I would like to tell the story here about my MBR to see if anyone here has ever got the same problem like mine. I used MBP for email, surf web, and playing WoW. This evening, after I watch a 47 mins Tv show Prison break on my MBP, as usual I just close the lid, and the MBP goes on the sleeping mode. After doing the cleaning dishes in about 20 mins, I came back and open the lid. What i could see is a black screen, the light where I open the lid is on but my MBP would not wake up. I kept patience and leave it in about almost 10 mins but it is just BLACK screen.

I decided to press the power button to turn it off, then I wait about 1 min, I turn it on. I can hear clearly the marvelous starting sound but very sad to say that it was still a black screen while the machine is still running. I would like very much that someone has experiences about MBP please tell me what did happen to my MBP.

My MBP was purchased on 17, September 2007 and I do have apple care for it. I am quite nervous because I don't know if apple will fix it for free, according to what I know, it is more than 1 year.

Also in this case, I am having the Applecare for my MBP, if for example the main board was damaged itself, will Apple fix it with guaranty?

Please give me advise what should I try on my MBP before I bring it to the Apple store. Thank you very much for reading my story and I hope I can have the advise from you.

This is the configuration of my MBP
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
160GB Serial ATA Drive@7200rpm
SuperDrive 8X
15" Widescreen Display

Regards,
SG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You should have Apple Hardware Test on your system restore discs which came with the MBP. Pop it in, boot and hold down 'C' and see if you can get it up this way. If not you may well have a graphics or drive problem.

You have Applecare jump ibn and use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried shutting it down removing the battery and holding the power
button in for 10 to 12 seconds then reinstall the battery and power it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Macbook soon!
No worries if you have Applecare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
No worries if you have Applecare.

Ditto, there hasn't been anything wrong with any of my systems that apple was not willing to fix, and I've owned a lot of different mac products over many years... so I ran into quite the amount of different things.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply so far, this morning I tried to call Apple, tell them about my problem and what I was advised is not so new that we have been discussed. He guided me many options like these.
- Remove battery, including power corde, press the power button about few seconds.
- Reset PRAM
- Start with restoration disk (disk 1)

All these options above was useless to my MBP, what I could see is a black screen, the machine start up with no starting sound as it sould be. The machine would not start up with the restore disk, and with the apple care disk. Then he said I have to send it to repair, I asked him that in my case I have Applecare, and so far you know about my MBP problem, so is it in the guarranty? He said YES and he said I don't have to pay anything. And he gave me the case number that I should give to the repair shop.

I brought my MBP to the Apple reseller is HUMAC, since Humac is the only dealer here. Humac get my MBP, but Humac said I have to sign on a recipt that incase I have to pay 500 Kr (about 100 usd). I was a bit surprised since the apple guy on the phone said it is in guarranty. The Humac guy said incase my MBP fail because of software and it is not inside the guarranty.

Well, I don't know what did happen to my MBP but so far I am doubting about the apple service including the freaking care stuff, and I tell you this, the apple care in denmark is very expensive (3390ddk = 623 usd). Now I am still not sure if I am going to get free repair.

Do you guys think MBP is fail because of software? In my opnion it has to be because of hardware issue. And they will repair it in 3 weeks. Is it normal if they said repair in 3 weeks, what about in USA, how long does it take to repair a MBP in my case? I would like to hear about that.

Thank you all and I will continue post if I hear any news about my MBP.

Regards,
SG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I would email Apple in the US telling them of your disappointment and the proposed charge whilst the unit is under Applecare and why Denmark is different to other parts of the world.

Did you get a ticket number whilst dealing with Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
did you buy the 3-yr apple care, or do u think the warranty that came with the laptop is "applecare"?

the warranty that came with it is just a one year, std warranty.

Applecare is an additional cost, which extends the warranty for years 2, 3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alumibook 2.4, 4GB | 1TB Time Capsule | 30GB Video iPod
did you buy the 3-yr apple care, or do u think the warranty that came with the laptop is "applecare"?

the warranty that came with it is just a one year, std warranty.

Applecare is an additional cost, which extends the warranty for years 2, 3.

He said he purchased apple care for a ridiculous amount of money so I would assume it is the 3 year apple care.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Finally I got my MBP back, let me list all the report that they did with my MBP.

- Fail test
- Logicboard defect
- LCD defect Inverter board
- Logicboard change
- LCD change
- Flex cable change on supposition

Things for use
Display clamshell, glossy
PCBA, MLB, 2,4 GHZ, REV2
Left I/O Board Flex

Well, that is all in the report, some words I have to translate into english so it may be not clear, hope you can understand it all. For 3 weeks they kept my MBP and even though I got it now but still feeling nightmare of what the heck the do in 3 weeks with it.

My original screen is NOT glossy, it was normal screen. Honestly I don't like glossy screen, when I came to the shop to receive my MBP, I asked them about the screen, they said perhaps it was a mistake from the technical guys so if I want to change to normal screen I have to give them and they are not sure how long it will take. For me that's enough, I don't know how to describe my feeling. I decided with the glossy screen from now.

And with applecare, I did not pay anything for the repair. So far is what going on about my MBP. I hope you guys if met the same problem like mine, you may figure it out what is going on with your MBP.

BTW, if any of you experience about the report that I put above, please explain me about PCBA, MLB, 2,4 GHZ, REV2 and Left I/O Board Flex. I wonder if they changed my cpu?

Thanks for reading my post and look forward to see your feedback

Regards,
SG

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A better question is - what DIDN'T they change? I'm surprised they didn't just give you another machine entirely.

The "PCBA, MLB, 2,4 GHZ, REV2" is your system board, which is basically the guts of the computer, including the CPU, all chips and circuitry. The "Left I/O Board Flex", if I'm not mistaken, is a daughterboard that contains the ports on the left side of the machine.

They also replaced the entire screen assembly.

It seems the only parts that weren't replaced were the lower casing, palm rest, keyboard, hard drive and optical drive. Everything else is new.

If I had to guess, they probably thought the inverter was bad, so replaced the display. When that didn't fix it, they decided to change the system board out. I personally think it's very bad form to replace your display with one that is not an identical part. I would demand that they replace the entire machine. 3 weeks is long enough to wait. They should not force you to again be without your machine due to their mistake.

OP
S
Reaction score
After coming back with my MBP for few hours, I found out 2 things that make me become up set really, as I said, they replaced a glossy screen instead the normal one, when I try to change the wallpaper on my MBP, I found out 1 small blue dot near the right conner of the screen. The dot is like top of the needle but you can see easily when you set the wallpaper with black background. So, I don't know if this is normal or can I claim they change the new screen again?

The second problem is the light of the lid where I open my MBP is not on, and when I try to close down my MBP to force go sleep mode, the light is not flashing as it should be either. Can any of you guys please give me advise that is it the hardware or software failed?

After all, if both of the problems are come from the hardware failure. Do you guys think it is time I should complain for a entirely new machine? And will apple agree about this?

Thanks in advance and I look to hearing from your advice.

Regards,
SG

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After coming back with my MBP for few hours, I found out 2 things that make me become up set really, as I said, they replaced a glossy screen instead the normal one, when I try to change the wallpaper on my MBP, I found out 1 small blue dot near the right conner of the screen. The dot is like top of the needle but you can see easily when you set the wallpaper with black background. So, I don't know if this is normal or can I claim they change the new screen again?

That's what is known as a "dead pixel". Sometimes they can be fixed, but most of the time they cannot. It is quite common to find a stuck pixel on LCD panels - particularly lower quality panels. I've yet to see one on an Apple product. I'm not sure what their policy is on replacement.

The second problem is the light of the lid where I open my MBP is not on, and when I try to close down my MBP to force go sleep mode, the light is not flashing as it should be either. Can any of you guys please give me advise that is it the hardware or software failed?

I assume you're referring to the light on the latch release? That's the sleep indicator. If it's not turning on, your computer is not sleeping. It's probably related to the sensor that detects whether your lid is closed. I would definitely take this up with Apple as that would indicate a bad replacement part.

After all, if both of the problems are come from the hardware failure. Do you guys think it is time I should complain for a entirely new machine? And will apple agree about this?

Thanks in advance and I look to hearing from your advice.

Regards,
SG

Personally, I would demand a new machine - particularly since you've already been without your machine for such a long time (an unacceptable amount of time, IMO). Frankly, I wouldn't take "no" for an answer at this point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'm not sure if this has been previously mentioned, but I think you're computer is fine it's just the screen. AppleCare will fix it.

But just to try it, see if they can give you a whole new MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I dropped my laptop and there is no real visible damage. however the motherboard was damaged from the impact. am i covered, my applecare ends in a months.

Reaction score
Wow, 3 weeks without your MBP is pretty serious. Especially when you have spent that additional amount just for the extended warranty. You would expect better then that.

Like the others, see if you can demand a new MBP.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dropped my laptop and there is no real visible damage. however the motherboard was damaged from the impact. am i covered, my applecare ends in a months.

Apple Care doesn't cover accidental damage, period.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Cwa107,

Thanks for all your fast reply so far. This morning I called to Apple and tell them the story, the first lady after hearing all my problems and in the mean time she also looked in the system report, she said she understands that so many thing happened to my MBP and she asks me what do I want her to do now? Of course I said I want the entirely new machine, she said she can not decide and transfer me to another lady who is working in customer relation.

Then this lady said she apology for everything that happened to my MBP and she suggested me to send my MBP back to the shop, and she said she will make "a case" for my situation and she would call me to let me know how will be going with my MBP and she would force them to repair my machine first priority and she said may be I can get it on monday. Honestly I don't think so.

Well, I may tell you one more thing that my MBP actually was replaced the new top case about 1 year ago after I bought it 1 week because the left side of the machine was likely lost 1 screw. So meaning the entire machine, just keyboard and optical drive are remained as original.

I asked the lady what if after this time, my machine is still got problem with faulty hardware, can I have a new machine instead of keep repairing. She said it is impossible to do that and I asked her so what will she do in that case, then she said she will make an investigation about my MBP and that's all.

Well, I still don't know if my MBP is working properly this time or not but so far, apple ****** me off about their service. This is apple service in Denmark, I don't know what about in another country but for me service here is suck. I will let you all know when I get my MBP back this time.

Regards,
SG

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.