I am looking for advice on what to do...

Reaction score
I have a Dual 2.7 G5 that I use as a media hub, no fancy set up. I just use front row and have it connected to my TV and Stereo (I know what a waste of a G5). I use a MBP and the spouse uses a win XP laptop. We have an airport extreme and a 1tb My Book external drive attached. All was rosy in our home network. That is until the 1tb tipped over on the desk and stopped working. I mean OMG it tipped over and fell maybe 5 inches. Long story short it was not the hard drive but the case that broke I was able to salvage the drive and all the information and now it lives in the G5. A buddy told me I needed a NSA with a raid configuration to back up my info. I went into research mode and liked what I read about how NSA worked. How it was faster than USB or Fire wire and with raid set up your info gets saved. Then came the shock of how much stand alone NAS’s cost. The same buddy said no worry, you can DIY one with an old computer and a few hard drives.

Great now I have a G4 Quicksilver a buddy gave me (different buddy). But now what? I found Free NAS and it looks great, simple to use and set up but dose not work loaded on a mac and I am not sure what to do or how to set it up…

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.