Recording through the built in mic question!?!?!

Reaction score
OK so I've been trying to use the built in mic on my MacBook to record my band. But lately whenever I record something and listen to the playback it's really over modulated and distorted. To describe it, it has a weird "underwater" sound.

I've recorded though the mic before and it sounded fine it's just recently that I started getting these results though the mic. Even the last time I used it I put the mic sensitivity on the preferences way down and it still did it.

My question is basically what could the problem be? Did something get out of wack? Maybe does it need to be EQ'd or adjusted somehow? Or is the mic broken somehow?

By the way I've been using Garageband to record through.

OP
JayZim17
Reaction score
Recording through the built in mic problem!?!?

OK so I've been trying to use the built in mic on my MacBook to record my band. But lately whenever I record something and listen to the playback it's really over modulated and distorted. To describe it, it has a weird "underwater" sound.

I've recorded though the mic before and it sounded fine it's just recently that I started getting these results though the mic. Even the last time I used it I put the mic sensitivity on the preferences way down and it still did it.

My question is basically what could the problem be? Did something get out of wack? Maybe does it need to be EQ'd or adjusted somehow? Or is the mic broken somehow?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ
Are you monitoring at the same time that you're trying to listen to it? It could be picking itself up and causing some nasty noises.

OP
JayZim17
Reaction score
Recording with the built in mic problem?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I've tried what you've done before. The built in mic isn't good for heavy duty stuff like that, voices are fine but music is not good for it. You can get a cheap mic for audio recording high quality that plugs into the USB Port for $49. I recommend you go with Logitech.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.