• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

PAL DVD to IMovie to DV tape - Need help

Reaction score
Greetings:

I have an IMac Intel Core 2 Duo running OS X and am using Imovie HD 6.

Here's my situation.

I have a PAL DVD with dialogue in a foreign language. I need to add subtitles to it. I imported the DVD file into Imovie (I first had to convert the DVD to a quicktime file). I added the subtitles and saved the new Imovie file. So far so good. Originally I exported it back to a DVD but there was some compression and the image would occasionally "jump" around, or skip a frame.

I thought I could just export the Imovie file directly to a DV tape via a Sony DSR-11 DV recorder so there wouldn't be as much compression, and I could avoid the skipping.

Unfortunately, when I tried exporting to my mini-DV tape, the result was horrible with lots of squares and distortion. (I know this since I played it back on my camcorder). Meanwhile, I can't even play the DV tape back on Imovie, since it says that "The camera is sending half-sized frames, which iMovie HD can’t accept."

I searched around online, and it seems to be an NTSC-PAL problem. I don't know how to fix it, since my DSR-11 doesn't allow me to select NTSC or PAL - it just chooses the format.

I was thinking I could export the Imovie file to Quicktime, and then from Quicktime to the DV. Would this work? It seems I would have to purchase Quicktime 7 PRO to export the file. I don't mind buying the software if it will solve the problem.

I also read online somewhere about an application called "JES Deinterlacer" Unfortunately, I'm a total amateur when it comes to films and know little about formatting sizes, ratios, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can yield the highest quality video with the subtitles in place? I would hope this would be possible!

Thanks so much for any advice.

Best wishes!

OP
L
Reaction score
Follow-up

This is Fred again.

I was reading online, and perhaps a deinterlacer has nothing to do with my problem. But I'm not sure. Hopefully my description has provided enough information.

Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Greetings

You say that you exported the file to DVD. Did you use the share with iDVD option?

Picture 2.png

I may be way off on this and I may have misunderstood....

Cheers M

Picture 1.png

OP
L
Reaction score
HD Space

HI:

I think I have enough HD Space. I also have an external hard drive.I could try transferring the file to my external so I have more HD space. Could that be the cause?

I also have 3 MB ram, which is the max for my system.

Reaction score
Me again.

All I know (from bitter experience) is that if when I was running short of space on the HD whilst doing an iMovie project, I ended up with a stuttering result.

I guess that you could use your ext HD.

Another thought. have you looked at the size of the Trash (Bottom right) within your project?

Picture 3.png

If there is a great deal in there, you could consider clicking on it to empty the Trash and saving the project. It could well help.

Cheers again M

OP
L
Reaction score
Solution Found

Hi again:

Just wanted to let you know that I used the JES Deinterlacer and this solved the problem.

Hopefully no one will encounter this in the future.

Many thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.