OX Start Up Disk

Reaction score
Is is possible to create a start-up CD disk? This goes back to my post yesterday about not being able to get my Mac to boot. (question mark!!!)

But I can get it to boot with the OS X install disk. In the old days, I use to to a OS disk on hand just for that situation.

I tried to put OS 9 on a CD but the computer woudn't recognise it.

Can I just copy a System Folder for System X and boot with it?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Underbelly said:
Is is possible to create a start-up CD disk? This goes back to my post yesterday about not being able to get my Mac to boot. (question mark!!!)

But I can get it to boot with the OS X install disk. In the old days, I use to to a OS disk on hand just for that situation.

I tried to put OS 9 on a CD but the computer woudn't recognise it.

Can I just copy a System Folder for System X and boot with it?

Thanks

I'm not entirely sure how to go about creating a "boot disk", but if you can't get your machine to boot from the HDD, you will probably end up having to reinstall the OS anyway. You could try an Archive and Install, so that your files and settings will be retained.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can try BootCD. I have tried this under 10.2.x. I was able to create a bootable CD. The only problem I have was it, took a long time to boot.

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll try BootCD. The problem is that My HD is almost full so I can't use Archive and Install (no room). So I would like to get it to boot with something so I could delete unnessary files and the Archive and Install.

I was told of a way to network it to another Mac but wont have that option until the weekend, and I don't want to wait that long.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have another system with a firewire port, you could use target mode. Then you could do you house keeping. You can also try single user mode, but you would need to know the file structures and what files to delete.

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks, but like i said, that will have to wait for the weekend and I've got a few projects that won't wait.

OP
U
Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up. My Mac is back up and running. BOOTCD worked perfect! Thanks to everyone who helped me out. Apparently if you go back and forth between OS9 and OSX, you'll have this problem if your HD is almost full.

And if you ask why I still use OS9, it's because I still have a many programs I like that only run in OS9 and I can't afford to upgrade them right now.

Thanks again!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't you run those OS 9 application in classic mode or do you have to run them in full OS 9 mode?

OP
U
Reaction score
I do run most in Classic Mode but once in a while I flip over to OS9 for one reason or another.

While on the subject, I've read that the porblem I have, switching between OS9 and OSX with a lack of HD space causes this problem. Does anyone know why that is?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.