Rename A Previous User...

Reaction score
Hi! I got a Macbook from my boss... It is the Macbook from hes previous assistant. I got the Macbook as it because I need to wok on the sames files...

The point is, I got the Admin Password (from my boss) And I've been able the modify the previous account password, name, and everything, except one thing.

In the finder.... under

System and Softwares --- users --- ''nameofthereviousguy''

that ''nameofthepreviousguy'' is what i'm trying to rename...
The icon of thi folder is a House...

If I try the normal operation to rename a file in the finder and I put the new name I want, i get the following message...

''nameofthepreviousguy'' can't be modified or deleted because it is required by MAC OS X.

If I ctrl click on the folder and try trought the getinfo... (and the lock icon at the bottom is unlocked) I get the same error mesage...

Please Help me... I'm sick of seeing the previous guy name in my MAC.

BTW i litterally felt in love with MAC. MFG i should have discovered Mac before in my life !!! So happy... this is completly better than a PC !!!!

Thanks !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
NEVER NEVER NEVER try to simply rename an existing user. Doing so can and will cause you a lot of trouble. Is there any particular reason why you can't just make a new user and copy over any needed files to the new user account?

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok Thank you....
Lol yes it's a good idea... in fact it's because I owrked with the Macbook during 3 months before so...
So... I put alle the data I need on the HD
Create a New Account
Delete The old one and that's it ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ok Thank you....
Lol yes it's a good idea... in fact it's because I owrked with the Macbook during 3 months before so...
So... I put alle the data I need on the HD
Create a New Account
Delete The old one and that's it ???

That should do it. Of course, be sure you have everything you want before deleting the old account. Even if you do, OS X will actually archive it to a a folder called "Deleted Users", or perhaps it asks if you want to do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.