Crucial RAM or Apple's RAM?

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
apples ram is a rip off. i've had crucial ram in another laptop and have never had any problems with it. crucial is a very good brand and everyone i know that has had it has never had any problems with it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well for starters never ever ever get upgrades from Apple. 400% markup for RAM is like ludicrous.

You can get RAM from any third party company and it will be a lot cheaper.

My favorite just happens to be Kingston.

There are many companies that make quality RAM. IE Crucial, Corsair, OCZ, and Supertalent.

Happy shopping. ^-^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I agree, Apple is a rip off on their prices sometimes but their products are good. Still not worth the price. If Crucial will work (which it will) then save yourself the money and go with it.

OP
M
Reaction score
apples ram is a rip off. i've had crucial ram in another laptop and have never had any problems with it. crucial is a very good brand and everyone i know that has had it has never had any problems with it.

Well for starters never ever ever get upgrades from Apple. 400% markup for RAM is like ludicrous.

My favorite just happens to be Kingston.

I agree, Apple is a rip off on their prices sometimes but their products are good. Still not worth the price. If Crucial will work (which it will) then save yourself the money and go with it.

lol I was thinking pretty much the same thing just wanted to have some 2nd and 3rd opinions to make sure I was going to purchase the correct RAM.

Thanks again! :D

jah

Reaction score
both sources are high price, you get the consumer the year award.

newegg.com will be hi to but offer some choice
zipzoomfly is not far behind newegg but both are excellent stores fronts

buy.com

you will have to give the old sims away but to recycle not a bad idea, use this forum or craigslist computers section

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
Both are excellent products, except one has a pretty black/white Apple logo on it.

I've bought Crucial RAM in the past and it's been excellent...Kingston too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
I ordered 4GB Ram from OWC and it arrived within 6 days, that's US to New Zealand, and it arrived on the same day as my new MBP which took 10 days to deliver, that's New Zealand to New Zealand. I swapped over the 2 RAM chips before starting the machine for the first time, and everything is flawless, Photoshop is beautiful to use now.

OP
M
Reaction score
I ordered 4GB Ram from OWC and it arrived within 6 days, that's US to New Zealand, and it arrived on the same day as my new MBP which took 10 days to deliver, that's New Zealand to New Zealand. I swapped over the 2 RAM chips before starting the machine for the first time, and everything is flawless, Photoshop is beautiful to use now.

Yeah I found OWC's low latency RAM on Macsales website for $79 I believe but I didn't know if they were a reputable company. The best deal I found was the Crucial memory for $60, so, I'll most likely be going with them.

Next question:

I was reading Apple's terms and conditions for their 1 year warranty. Would y'all recommend that Apple install the RAM or do it myself? I don't want to void the warranty because within the next month or so I'll be buying AppleCare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
upgrading ram is one of the things you can do to your notebook without voiding the warranty. its really easy to do and you shouldn't have any problems doing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Macbook soon!
Crucial is great Apple charges way too much.

OP
M
Reaction score
upgrading ram is one of the things you can do to your notebook without voiding the warranty. its really easy to do and you shouldn't have any problems doing it.

yeah ill probably have a buddy help me with it just so i dont mess anything up

Crucial is great Apple charges way too much.

true.. i saw Crucials for $60, and Apple for $400.. wasnt a hard decision..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.